Wested with a twist

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Shishak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Wested with a twist

Post by Shishak »

I've noticed that the sleeves on my Wested jacket seem to be twisted. Let me explain.

When I raise my arms in front of me, the inner seam starts under my arm and then ends up on the top of my hand. When my arms are at my sides, the seams look like they curve from my armpits to the front of my arms. On all my long-sleeve shirts and other jackets, this doesn't happen - the seam runs along the under part of my arm.

Has anyone else noticed this on their Westeds? I'm wondering if it's a result of the sleeves not having the proper amount of taper and an overly-large sleeve opening at the wrist. I'm guessing that if extra leather were removed to taper the sleeve, the seam would be pulled back under the arm. Those of you who have requested the tapered sleeves, have you noticed any peculiarities or does the seam lie where it should?
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

I may have noticed something similar on my Wested, which does have tapered sleeves, but first I need some clarification.

When you are raising your arms in front of you are your palms parallel with the ground eg. Frankenstein's Monster style? Or are your palms facing toward each other? Also, are you raising your arms straight out in front of you or are they bent?

My seams appear in the proper location if my arms are raised straight out in front of me with my palms either parallel with the ground or facing toward each other. If I keep my arms bent so that my forearms are parallel with the ground–as I would when driving–the seams stay in their proper place if my palms are facing toward each other, but the seams begin to creep up toward the outside of my arms if my palms are parallel with the ground.

I originally thought that this was because the design of the seams is such that they run along the inside of the arm over the elbow when your arms are hanging at your side naturally. I'll have to reconsider that now though. I hope this was helpful.

Regards,
Jack
Shishak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Shishak »

Good questions.

Whether my arms are bent or straight out in front of me, the seam still ends up on the back of my hand if my palms are down. If my palms are facing each other, the seam is behind my thumb toward the back side of my hand.

When I'm walking around, the seams fall either at the thumb or just behind. When I look in a mirror, with my arms at my sides, the seams appear to curve around to the front.

That's the best description I can give.

I've done some of my own research on this since starting this thread, and the pictures on the main site in the jacket section show this sleeve configuration rather well. If you look at the bottom series of pictures (especially the close-up of the sleeves and cargo pocket) you'll see what I'm talking about. That inner seam curves around almost to the back of the hand.

http://www.indygear.com/gear/images/Fs_vs_Wested5.jpg

I was just wondering if this was a design thing and if anyone else has noticed it on their jackets.