Blowing my own horn, and sore fingers.......

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Blowing my own horn, and sore fingers.......

Post by Fedora »

If any of you guys ever decide to do any sewing on your Adventurebilt Indy fedora, get ready for sore fingers. I can assure you that by the time you finish, you will have some badly sore fingers. :wink: Pushing a needle through this felt is like pushing it through oak. :lol: I ain't kidding. This is some dense felt here, and it makes me feel good because my intentions were to make hats that would truly live up to the name Indiana Jones. These hats won't tear during a reblock. As I take a break, I want to tell a story that just happened with these hats. I had made a hat for RC, and was gonna mail it out today. He ordered one vintage soft, and thin, and after assembling the hat, while it was the way that I like an Indy fedora, I knew from owning vintage hats that it was still too stiff. So, instead of sending it, I ripped out the innards and put another sweat in for someone else, so I could send the hat. Well, while I was manipulating the felt with the new installation, I noticed the hat just got softer, and softer and softer!! :shock: I just finished it, and RC would have been satisfied. It seems that there is some stiffener in these hats, but it works out really easily. All you have to do is massage the hat. So, the key is to stomp on RC's new hat to get it the way the likes it. :lol: Of course, I wasted a couple of hours, but learned something in the process.

If any of you guys who ordered hats are worried about the hats not arriving before Christmas, fear not. I will finish up all of the preorders this week, and you will have the hat on your head by Christmas. Just wanted you guys to know, and also to express my thanks for the patience. I got behind due to the death of a family member, but have worked 16 hour days to catch up. If anyone has been waiting to order, feel free to do so. I will start on new orders this weekend. I am sending these hats to foreign lands, and this pleases me so much. I know I have mentioned it before, but I am still astounded that my hats will be spread over the globe. What a rush!!

I know this sounds like I am tooting my own horn, but guys, after owning every hat out there, this is the best looking, tough, and high quality hat that I have ever seen. I apologize if I am making you sick with my praises, but I would say the same thing regardless of who was selling this hat. And I am not saying this to sell more. Heck, I need a break, and hope that I don't sell many of them. If I sold one a week, it would be perfect for me. I love making these things, and when I can take my time and enjoy it, it don't get any better. :wink:

Well, time to get back to creating Indy fedoras, and try out this new quilting thread that I just bought for the sweats. I was not satisfied with that sissy-ized regular sewing thread. I want heavy duty stuff here. :D Fedora
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Don't worry Fedora.

We all need to blow our own horn occasionally. Sometimes, if we don't do it ourselves, then nobody else will. :wink:

Perhaps you need something a little bit stronger.
:twisted:
http://www.shirleyssewingstuff.com/Mach ... eedles.jpg

But not too strong... :shock:
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

fedora,

toot away! Hmmm...lemme rephrase that. Toot your own horn away! It is well-deserved kudos! I look forward to my new Adventurebuilt, and will wear it daily with the pride and respect it so richly deserves
IndianaFist
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaFist »

" this is the best looking, tough, and high quality hat that I have ever seen. I apologize if I am making you sick with my praises"

Were not getting sick of your praise Fedora. I got to see, touch and smell Hemingways hat and I say you speakith the trueth! :D

You have done a fantastic job! You should be very proud of yourself. Im sure all the owners of your fine hats are proud of what they are wearing. And that you made it with your own 2 hands!
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

Trust me when I say this... you block and bash the best Jones style fedora. You're making some people VERY happy this holiday.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Hmmmm I wonder who's hat you could be talking about, Steve? :-k \:D/

bink
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Hmmmm I wonder who's hat you could be talking about, Steve?

Right on my friend. :wink: I aim to please, and while that hat was good, it did not meet what I thought you were after. So, I went through all of those bodies and picked the softest, and thinnest.

Something else about these hats. You know how some hatmakers frown upon you using steam to style, or restyle? And how some of us have tapered out hats from over using steam? Not to worry with this hat. Steam away. No taper, no shrinkage. Fedora
Falstaff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Falstaff »

With everything you're telling us about the quality of the felt, Fedora, I feel a strange urge to want to work with the felt myself. I'm sure I'll like the shape of the hat I receive, but who knows, maybe in a year or so I'll do a major re-shape just so I can see how well it can be manipulated.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Fedora wrote:
Hmmmm I wonder who's hat you could be talking about, Steve?

Right on my friend. :wink: I aim to please, and while that hat was good, it did not meet what I thought you were after. So, I went through all of those bodies and picked the softest, and thinnest.
That's why I'm so excited about your hats, Fedora. You want your customers to have nothing short of the perfect hat which meets and exceeds the customer's demands. Even though I'm going nuts with each passing day I wait, in the end I know the wait will have been well worth it. Though it took you making an entire hat to figure it wasn't the perfect one for me, it just makes me realize that when it finally comes to my door I'll have the best darn fedora I've ever worn.

Your customer service and desire to give them the ultimate best shows and will be well rewarded as they come back for more and bring fresh business with them! In fact, I've told my vintage clothier that I'm bringing the hat by for her to look at when I get it so she can see just how fine they are and how they are truly like the hats of yesteryear.

My hat is off to you. Heck, my hat is in your hands! :wink:

bink
fedoralover
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoralover »

I know I would rather wait the extra time, if in the end it was more like what I wanted. I know I'm way down the list for my black one, but hearing about this felt has given me something to look forward to in the coming year.

Also, I know what you mean about the sore fingers. I've gotten sore fingers pushing a needle through some vintage fedora's I own when I've redone the ribbons. Keep up the excellent work fedora.

regards fedoralover
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Ah yes, I know what you mean Fedora, over the years I myself have done some robbon switching here and there, and yes that's why my fingers hate me, lol.
Hatman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Hatman »

Great to see you having fun with you hobby!!
Nothing better than doing something you enjoy and
making some money in the process. Keep up the good
work!!!! Looking foward to getting mine!!!!!

Hatman
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

It must be very rewarding to have a hobby that makes not only you happy, but others as well. That's too cool. :)

Someone get this guy an apprentice! :D
IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaGuybrush »

Somehow I just can't see Fedora on the "boss side" of a conference table

::After elaborate hand and arm gestures::
"You're fired!"
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Snakewhip_Sable wrote:Someone get this guy an apprentice! :D
OOOH!!! OOOHHHH!!!! Mister Kotter!!!! :lol:

bink
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Fedora, don't forget the big green feather on binks hat! :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Modern Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Currently being torn in 20 directions, at once! (As usual ....)

Post by Modern Jones »

A green feather and the liner should say ...

Adventurebilthats
"Scoundrel Series"
:wink: :lol:

Skip
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:lol: :tup: :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Fedora, don't forget the big green feather on binks hat

Would that be the 3 foot variety of peacock feathers? :wink: It would look more symetrical with one on both sides. :D Fedora
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Your call, my friend. You're the craftsman on this project..... :D :wink: Regards. Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I love you guys! *sniff*

bink
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Blowing my own horn, and sore fingers.......

Post by Rixter »

Fedora wrote:...I know this sounds like I am tooting my own horn, but guys, after owning every hat out there, this is the best looking, tough, and high quality hat that I have ever seen. I apologize if I am making you sick with my praises, but I would say the same thing regardless of who was selling this hat. Fedora
The boogie woogie bugle boy from Miss-is-sipp-i. Image Yes, I know...

Anyway, how many people can say they really love what they're doing, and also please so many others by doing it.
bclead
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by bclead »

Hey Steve:

The more I read about your lids, the more my mouth is watering, and salivating over a keyboard is a recipe for disaster :lol: . I hope that the next round is getting closer!!! One word from you and my check will be winging its way toward you stat!! Come on, come on, pleeeaaase say the word....tell me that I'm next....puuleeeeaaase .......I'll be your best friend :wink: :wink: !! Yah gonna make me grovel......okay I'll grovel!

........Bruce