New whip DVD from Simon Martin Whips. Review

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Redbeard
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

New whip DVD from Simon Martin Whips. Review

Post by Redbeard »

Simon Martin from Tasmania just released his first DVD it's called

:whip: "Beginner's whipcracking and whip maintenance". :whip:

I was looking for a DVD on another thread here and so Simon asked me to be the first who sees it and to write about it when I like it. Well, I'm writing about it.

The DVD has to parts. Whip cracking and Whip maintenance (Hence the name.) Simon narrates the film and explaines everything in detail without saying too much. He shows every crack a few times. After he showed the basic cracks he shows some more complicated routines. The good thing about a DVD is that you can jump from chapter to chapter i.e. crack to crak and that you can watch it in slow-mo without loosing image quality. And I would suggest to use this feature.

The second part comes in handy when you need to fix something on your whip. It shows you how to make a cracker (a new way that I didn't know before), how to change a fall and most of all how to make a new knot to tighen the fall. When I'm going to do this on my whip I'm going to make it in front of my TV.

As a summary you can say that this DVD is extremley good for the freshman to become more used to a whip and master the basic skills. The only issue about the DVD lies in the medium it self. Most of the time you won't have a TV set with you when you go whip cracking. A little booklet would solve this problem.

I hope little review helps a little in your decision making when you think about buying a DVD. And I hope I didn't forget to mention something.

Regards,
Redbeard

P.S.
When you read this please bear in mind that I'm not a native speaker i.e. writer. So some sentenses may not be as good or clear as the could be.But I tried my best to find the right words.

Simons Website: http://www.whipmaker.com.au
Paul_Stenhouse
Vendor

Post by Paul_Stenhouse »

That sounds familiar. Good resource for those just starting out.

Best Regards,

Paul Stenhouse
Simon Martin
Vendor

Post by Simon Martin »

The only issue about the DVD lies in the medium it self. Most of the time you won't have a TV set with you when you go whip cracking. A little booklet would solve this problem
Hi All

Redbeard suggested I do up a booklet of the different cracks, so I have done a drawing of the Cattleman's Crack. Will do the other 5 basic cracks when I get time, if I get some feedback whether it is a good idea or not. I have decide to make it available on my website and won't bother doing up a booklet. This way everyone can benefit.
Visit http://www.whipmaker.com.au/Full_Need_Help.htm then click on Cracking a Whip. Sorry I'm not a very good artist but hopefully it is passible.

Look forward to hearing your opinions.

Kind Regards

Simon Martin
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Simon;
Very easy to understand I think. Good job!

Also, if you are able to freeze-frame and do screengrabs of some cracks and key positions from the DVD, that could also make for a nice addition to the site I think.

Regards,
Swindiana
Simon Martin
Vendor

Post by Simon Martin »

Thanks a lot for your feedback Swindiana.
Will work on it. :)

Kind Regards
Simon
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

I agree that most of us don't crack our 8 and 10 footers in front of the tv in the living room, but most laptops come with dvd players built in nowadays, so just grab the dvd and your laptop the next time you head out to practice cracking! :wink:
bclead
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by bclead »

Simon, I think this would be a great asset for me! It would help me graduate from bufoon to being inept :lol: . Seriously, I think that, as Jack said, you can grab your laptop or portable DVD player and take it with you - it's a great medium.

Redbeard, your review was really good!!! You right (I mean write heh heh) english better than many native speakers (myself included sometimes....................ok........ most times!) :D :D

.........Bruce
Redbeard
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Redbeard »

Simon I think it's an awesome idea and your drawing shows everything it needs to. Sorry I didn't reply to your mail. I was travelling for business. I would love to see all the basic cracks. I then will print them to have them with me when I go out in the fields. I agree the screen grabs would be of help to.

High regards,
Red
Simon Martin
Vendor

Post by Simon Martin »

Redbeard. I was wondering what happened to you.

I have got the Figure 8 up on my website now. It is probably a bit small?
:shock: Once you have learned the Cattleman's Crack you can learn Figure Eight next.
Thankyou everyone for your input.

Kind Regards

Simon Martin
www.whipmaker.com.au