Indy's winter gear

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Indy's winter gear

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

I noticed that page on the main site about Indy's winter gear. The "inside garment" looks an awful lot like those military cardigan type sweaters with the huge, fold over lapels.

Any thoughts on that?

I saw a bunch of those sweaters at one of our local surplus joints, the one that supplied all the gear for "Legends of the Fall" about a decade back.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Ah you can tell its winter when these posts start cropping up - I beleive there are a few posts on the subject around. Personally I was never too taken with the cardigan - I dont think someone my age could really pull it off that well (you know what I mean). Finding something warm to wear under the jacket can be a problem as most warm clothes tend not to be as short a cut as the jacket.

Of course this isnt a problem for me at the minute - its so cold here at the minute its beyond jacket wearing weather. I am not in my Vertical Limit/Touching the Void gear!

Ken :)
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Magnoli found a good Cardigan one time http://www.indygear.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2082

I have one from LLBean that I like wearing. It's in a color they call Port.

Pyro.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Yes, Magnoli found a really accurate one online. It requires the company to make extensive modifications, but seeing as they're from Mexico, they're all too willing to do it (no offense to any mexicans, I'm just saying that their companies are very accomadating to our wishes). I would reccomend e-mailing Indy Magnoli if you want the full details of how to get one of those cardigans. :junior: -IJ
Neolithic
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Neolithic »

Sometimes it's a fine line between Indygear and Old-Codger gear though. :wink:
Magnoli can actually pull it off and still look cool, like a Johnny Depp groove or something. I think I'd look like a mental patient if I got the cardy going.... :roll:
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Neolithic wrote:Sometimes it's a fine line between Indygear and Old-Codger gear though. :wink:
Magnoli can actually pull it off and still look cool, like a Johnny Depp groove or something. I think I'd look like a mental patient if I got the cardy going.... :roll:
Oh, then Jess, Bink and I should look just fine in it. What say, dudes, group rate, and all the meds we can take?
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

The lapels on the Harrison picture are HUGE. I'll find a pic of the sweater I'm thinking of and and show ya. But they're like that off the (surplus warehouse) storage racks.

Sort of like this one, at the bottom of the page, but I've seen the huge lapelled ones around. http://www.newportarmynavy.com/rothco/sweaters.htm
Neolithic
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Neolithic »

Mr Sable, sir, I'd definately go to Monsieur Magnoli.
Looks like with the above link that it's just a sweater...

The cardigan was once so cool. Back in the 90s, Kurt Cobain just made them such an Indie (not Indy) thing to have.

Jerry, once you get the cardigan, all you need is your pipe and a comfy arm chair and maybe a pair of BOIC glasses and you can start telling the grandkids stories of adventures you took long ago...

Do Alden make slippers? :wink:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Indiana Jerry wrote:
Neolithic wrote:Sometimes it's a fine line between Indygear and Old-Codger gear though. :wink:
Oh, then Jess, Bink and I should look just fine in it. What say, dudes, group rate, and all the meds we can take?
HaHAA!!! I already have old codger gear! In fact, the sweater I keep at work is a pre-WWII black cardigan with a high roll collar. Even the etched buttons are cool! It's also warm as toast! I have several pair of spectacles from various points of the first half of the 1900s and a couple of good pipes, including a nice classy black Churchwarden (with a very long stem). I am keeping my eyes out for a nice vintage brown cardigan, though... :wink:

Rocking in his chair,
bink
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

I was looking for old-codger gear when I stumbled upon this place.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Maybe we should start collecting the "old Indy" gear! :wink:

bink
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Do you have a pic of that sweater, Bink? I don't see many codgers wearing that sort of sweater. It ain't a Mister Rogers deal at all.

I imagine this thread doesn't mean jack to those in warmer climates, but it might for others. But yeah, sometimes I get called 'Grandpa' just wearing regular Indyesque gear with my overcoat. It's got nothing to do with the grey hair, I'm sure.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I'll see if I can get a good pic of it today.

bink
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

I am in the process of modifying an alpaca fleece jacket I got while in Peru - I left in to a tailors this afternoon to get it shortened so I canw ear it under a Wested. I will let you see how it turns out. I think it could work quite well.

Ken
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Snakewhip_Sable wrote:Do you have a pic of that sweater, Bink? I don't see many codgers wearing that sort of sweater.
Here you go:

http://public.fotki.com/binkmeisterRick ... eater.html

It's quite a warm sweater. It doesn't look right under my Wested, but it's fine underneath my grandfather's old winter coat I wear. If I wear a fisherman's cap and smoke a pipe with it, every other word I say starts with "aaarrrrrrr." :wink:

bink
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

That's pretty much the sweater in the Ford pic, ain't it?

Looks real swell, Bink.

Do you go out to see with Brodie looking for sharks with that outfit on?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

AAAaaarrrrr! Yes I do, matey! :wink:
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

I like that. Very interesting find.

Pyro
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Pyroxene wrote:I like that. Very interesting find.

Pyro
Not exact, obviously, but a very good approximation in a commercially-available garment! Thanks for posting it.

J
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

It's winter when Ren starts wearing sweaters under his wested... and starts talking about himself in the thrid person.
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

:lol:
That's a very good way of knowing. I just get cold, and then it's too late anyway. 8) I wonder what all that white stuff is btw... It gets wet when you take it indoors to examine it...

Regards,
Swindy
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

The only archeology I seem to do is scouring through websites looking for new sources of Indy Gear!
bclead
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by bclead »

Hemingway Jones wrote:The only archeology I seem to do is scouring through websites looking for new sources of Indy Gear!

I'd love to watch your cast your whip into the world wide web and pull out some new resources! THAT would be a modern day version of Indy's archaeology!! :wink:

...........Bruce
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

I ordered this one from Lands End....

It looks great with an Indy Jacket and a brown scarf and fedora.

Although not from Mystery of the Blues, the gloves I use in winter are 1108's from Wells Lamont. They look just like (or did a year ago) to the 1130's except they have a nice red lining to keep your fingers warm.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Do you have any shots of the 1108s? They sound wonderful - perfect compromise of Indy Vs Scotland weather!

Ken
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

MJ,

I looked and I don't think that Land's End offers that one this year. If you see it, let me know.
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

A little something I threw together, before taking these bad pictures, lol.

Ah pics won't work here, ahhh just go to the lounge, here:http://fedoralounge.skyblueproductions. ... #post18846
LuckyLighter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LuckyLighter »

Well I just ordered the Orvis sweater this weekend, so I should have it by next week sometime. I'd say I'll review it when it comes, unless someone has already done that here.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

LuckyLighter wrote:
Well I just ordered the Orvis sweater this weekend, so I should have it by next week sometime. I'd say I'll review it when it comes, unless someone has already done that here.
I don't think that I have read a post from anyone that has the one from Orvis. Their products are usually pretty nice. I would be interested in hearing what you think about it when you get it.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Good luck with that, LuckyLighter,
Let us know how you like it, your assessment of the quality, and how it works out for fit and accuracy.
I agree with Bufflehead; it would be nice to hear a review.
zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by zeus36 »

I generally wear a long sleeve "close-enough" under the Wested, maybe a T shirt under the long sleeve shirt. (if I need to take the long sleeve off at work)

But since the Wested fits like a glove now (I washed it) I find that instead of trying to put something UNDER the jacket, I just put a trenchcoat OVER the jacket for cold weather or rain. The trench has a zip out Thinsulate liner and I stay nice and warm ( old London Fog from the thrift store for 10 bucks) especially if I don the lid. Even though I do live in Southern California, the coast can get quite cold. I grew up in Ohio and think this combination would work there as well.

Hmmm, just thought of a new topic.... Insulation for your hat?
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Cold in SoCal...?? Riiiiight.

Since it's minus 4 fahrenheit (-20C) here today* I've been wearing my trenchcoat over my leather jacket lately and today I got a, "Hey! You look like DARKMAN with the hat and coat!" comment from a girl at work. :?

*It's supposed to be +30 fahrenheit (OC) tomorrow - what wacky winter weather we have here.

When it gets to -22 fahrenheit, the fedora stays on the hat rack and I wear my SovietSoldiergear (a giant fur hat with ridiculous earflaps) on my head. To Hades with the Indy look when it's that cold, I'd rather be warm and look stupid.
IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaGuybrush »

I recently got a sweater from Banana Republic (I know, I know, but it was a birthday shopping spree and my mom was buying so I figured why not go high class?!) that looks really good with my wested and a fedora.

http://public.fotki.com/IndianaGuybrush ... front.html

Also, the cool thing about the sweater is that it's coated with some kind of teflon, and water sheets right off it. The future is here, today! :roll:
zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by zeus36 »

Snakewhip_Sable wrote:Cold in SoCal...?? Riiiiight.

Since it's minus 4 fahrenheit (-20C) here today* I've been wearing my trenchcoat over my leather jacket lately and today I got a, "Hey! You look like DARKMAN with the hat and coat!" comment from a girl at work. :?
When it gets to -22 fahrenheit, the fedora stays on the hat rack and I wear my SovietSoldiergear (a giant fur hat with ridiculous earflaps) on my head. To Hades with the Indy look when it's that cold, I'd rather be warm and look stupid.
Only -22?

I spent three tours in Antarctica, McMurdo Base. At -15 F we went out for PT in our jogging shorts! :lol:

Try hanging outside a Huey UH-1N flying at 60 knots in -45 F to call in an LZ. Snot freezes very quickly :shock:
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Yep. That's frosty. Were the short your idea? I can see why you're in Ventura now.