Alden 405's Heel Pad

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

bclead
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Alden 405's Heel Pad

Post by bclead »

Hello Gang:

I have found the leather heel pad in my Alden's to be irritating the bottom of my foot. I peeled the pads out and it has been MUCH better. I tried various other heel pads, but was unhappy with the way they felt. I also tried some innersoles, but they made the boots too tight in the forefoot. The only concern that I have is that the nail heads from the nails that fasten on the heel are exposed - although the nails are countersunk and do not stick up at all. Do you think that this will be a problem in the future?

...........Bruce
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Since Aldens 405 are an orthopedic shoe, I'd be careful taking the padding out as it could do more damage than good to your feet.
JerseyJones
Vendor

Re: Alden 405's Heel Pad

Post by JerseyJones »

bclead wrote:Hello Gang:

I have found the leather heel pad in my Alden's to be irritating the bottom of my foot. I peeled the pads out and it has been MUCH better. I tried various other heel pads, but was unhappy with the way they felt. I also tried some innersoles, but they made the boots too tight in the forefoot. The only concern that I have is that the nail heads from the nails that fasten on the heel are exposed - although the nails are countersunk and do not stick up at all. Do you think that this will be a problem in the future?

...........Bruce
If you can get to an Alden qualified shoemaker, do so ASAP. You will want to care for your boots as well as your feet

Peace
JJ
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Hey, bclead, did you have your feet professionally measured for your Aldens, or did you just guess on the size? And how long have you had them? Please trust those of us who say that it's best to have your feet professionally sized for Aldens. These shoes are orthopedic shoes and designed to fit the proper shoe size. Michaelson will attest that wearing wrong sized shoes over the years has done serious damage to his feet for which he's still paying the price and probably will for the rest of his life. (Just ask him! :? ) In the mean time, I'd leave them off your feet until you have the shoes looked at by a professional cobbler. will say that it took me a week or so to get used to my Aldens when I first got them, but after that break-in period, they've been the best thing for my feet! :wink:

bink
bclead
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by bclead »

Thanks for the input. I know that you are all right - I shouldn't have made that kind of change to the boot without checking with Alden. On that note, I've emailed Alden with my situation. Although it was hard to admit in the email. I told the truth about stupidly removing the heel pads for comfort before checking with anyone.....duhhhh! Anyway, I am awaiting a response from Alden (hopefully next week). Luckily, I live within a reasonable proximity to the factory, so if push comes to shove I will drive down there to have "my precious" boots repaired. Stay tuned............

...........Bruce
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Let us know how it works out, Bruce. I hope my post didn't come across as "mean" or anything. It's just that I'd hate to see anyone actually develop foot problems because of an ill-fitting shoe or something of the like. Jackets, shirts, bags, etc., won't do much but make you uncomfortable if they don't fit right, but I've learned that I can't skimp on my footwear anymore since a bad pair of shoes can actually affect my back, my posture, and my over-all well being. We're just looking out for you, Bruce! :wink:

bink
bclead
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by bclead »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Let us know how it works out, Bruce. I hope my post didn't come across as "mean" or anything. It's just that I'd hate to see anyone actually develop foot problems because of an ill-fitting shoe or something of the like. Jackets, shirts, bags, etc., won't do much but make you uncomfortable if they don't fit right, but I've learned that I can't skimp on my footwear anymore since a bad pair of shoes can actually affect my back, my posture, and my over-all well being. We're just looking out for you, Bruce! :wink:

bink
Thanks Bink!

No worries. You didn't come off mean at all. You gave me the answers that I was looking for. I appreciate the concern :D . I am just now waiting for a return email from Alden, so hopefully I will have my answer today.

..........Bruce
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Great! I just know how hard it is to interpret tone of voice, etc. around here sometimes. Again, I hope it works out for you and they can figure out a solution to your problem! :wink: Oh, and come to think about it, since they are an orthopedic shoe, they're designed to have enough room for a "perscribed" insert if need be. That's what the literature says, anyhow! Maybe it's just a matter of finding the right kind of insert for your heels. If so, I'm sure they may be able to recommend something. :wink:

bink
bclead
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by bclead »

Well I heard from Alden. They have kindly offered to send me a new pair of heel pads and cushions for me to cement back into my boots. That is one nice company! Even after I told them that I DELIBERATELY (and stupidly I might add) removed the heel pads, they are sending me new ones at no cost. Hats off to Alden!! I am now thinking of getting a pair of Alden casual shoes - can't go wrong with this company!

In the mean time, while I'm waiting, I'll take Hemingway Jones' advice and bring my boots in to have Vibram soles put on them.

..............Bruce
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

That's the way companies USED to treat their customers. Service AFTER the sale. That's old school..

Pyro
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

That's great, Bruce! Yeah, Alden is a nice company, aren't they? I ordered a couple pair of replacement laces for mine a couple weeks ago from their Washington, D.C. store and they didn't even charge me for the shipping! Very nice folks at that location. I'm glad things worked out for you. :wink:

bink
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Good choice on getting the pads replaced. I had a leather heel sole 'unstick' and peel away in a nice pair of cowboy boots I wore for YEARS...and even though the nails didn't stick up originally, they got pushed up when I wore down the heels (duh)...and that didn't take long to tear a hole in my heel. (Figures I got stranded w/ a five mile walk the day they punched through. The last half mile was almost on my left foot only.) ;)

How fast do the heels on Alden's wear down? Is it composite these days or still wood?
bclead
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by bclead »

I got the heel pads and cushions (helps to live near the factory) and reinstalled them and everything is now going swimmingly!! (can you tell that I am wearing them now :D !)

...........Bruce
bclead
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by bclead »

Just a quick update.....

I recently purchased a pair of Tacco "Deluxe" Full Length Orthotic insoles with metatarsal pad and heel cushion. Man these babies are AWESOME. Yeah, I know, I removed my (new) heel pads AGAIN, but this time with good reason. I highly recomend these insoles - they are sooooo comfortable. They are leather insoles that are made in Germany. Give them a try if you have a chance!

.............Bruce
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Just to be complete, where can these be found if someone was looking for them, Bruce? Regards. Michaelson
bclead
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by bclead »

Michaelson wrote:Just to be complete, where can these be found if someone was looking for them, Bruce? Regards. Michaelson
Hey Michaelson:

I purchased them at my local cobbler - Village Cobbler (781) 862-4199. They are very nice and knowledgable!

........Bruce
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Heck, you've got a win-win situation there....rarely do you find folks that are both 'nice' AND 'knowledgeable'! :shock: :wink: Good for you, and thanks for the information! Regards. Michaelson