The Ultimate Indy hat???

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

mollet44
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

The Ultimate Indy hat???

Post by mollet44 »

Who makes the ultimate Indy hat?
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Get a pure belly beaver from ###### and have it pounced to the smoothest surface possible. Then send it to Fedora for a reblock and specify a preblock as well. Also ask Fedora to put on the vintage grosgrain ribbon, to crease the hat and to spray water repellant on it.

With that said it is NOWHERE my intention to bash Fedora or his product. I consider him a good friend and know from experience that whatever he makes is top notch. A pure belly beaver however is even a notch better than a pure beaver body. If it's worth the extra 300 bux it up to yourself.

Regards,

Marc
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Fedora claims his beaver hat needs no water repellent.
Fedora claimed his hats needs no OILING! Don't mix that with water repellant.
Isn't that G_____ guy's hat like $1,000.00 US?
You can get hats for more than this if you want, but a straight belly beaver is 548$.
I personally think Fedora is the man if you want quality, value, great service, and accuracy. Knowing Fedora, his Argentine felt bodies have to be of outstanding quality for him to use them.
I think so too, no doubt. But the man was asking for the ULTIMATE Indy Fedora.

Regards,

Marc
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

I still think the most "ultimate" one out there is one of the five or so Mercury Indy's from Peter Bros. Pyro has one of these babys. An original 1930's era hat body, finished with Mercury as was the practice at the time. It's extremely thin, floppy, and 1930's vintage. It's one sweet hat. But as for price, it's not cheap. $1500 if I recall correctly...
Falstaff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Falstaff »

I too have ordered one of Fedora's beaver hats, but until we have actually held one in our hands and worn it around, it's unfair to the other hat producers to call his the best. I have great faith in Fedora, and I believe that he is offering an exceptinal hat for an unbeatable price, but will it be the Ultimate Indy Hat? In the next few weeks we'll find out, I'm sure.

Stay tuned... :wink:
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

Two of Fedora's hats coming to Calgary. Very cool. :)
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

also must agree that Fedora's new product is based on speculation at this point. But if history and reputation means anything, Fedora will come through for us and probably exceed our hopes.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Folks, the ultimate Indy fedora is different things to different people. You will also find that the longer you buy and wear hats, you will form opinions about a particular brand. Some good, some bad. I have bought every Indy fedora that we have access to, and there was always something about these hats that came up short to me, personally. Now, I admit that many folks are not as picky as me on the looks and quality of materials. I have seen guys that swore by a particular brand, although to me they looked inaccurate, in the block shape. Then there is the felt factor. Some hats are too soft and floppy, whereas a wind blown leaf would put a dent in the felt. That is just too soft. Some were too stiff, and would make great hard hats on a construction site. My hats are not too soft, and not too stiff. There is a happy medium here. One thing that I can guarantee, and that is my hats have a better block shape and a better felt than 99 per cent of the hats out there in the Indy fedora market.

To the belly beaver issue. Take a pure beaver hat in one hand, and a belly in the next, and I doubt anyone could tell the difference. I can't, assuming both were pounced equally. The belly underfur is the finest, but the appreciation of it being belly beaver is mostly pychological. I would wager, no one here could tell the difference between the two. But, they would certainly stand apart from rabbit blend bodies.

In the end, the ultimate hat may be a Miller for one guy, and a GH belly beaver for another. It is in the eye of the beholder.

I will just say, that if you buy my line of hats, you will get the most accurate and finest felted Indy fedora out there, from a technical standpoint, along with the cheapest price. Find another pure beaver hat online for 225. :lol: regards, Fedora
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

I've seen some of Fedora's hats, and I must say they are masterworks. Well worth the money you'll pay. But if you're in a position where you can't spend a lot of money, as I am in, then I would recommend Lee Keppler (www.adventure-supply.com).

Lee Keppler and Fedora are the only two gents I know of who's detail is second to none, and both are great on the value end of it. I believe Fedora's hats are around $220.00 us, and Keppler's hats are about 140.00 us, very affordable. They can make hats for you based on whatever look you like. If you enjoy the Raiders of the Lost Ark look, Temple of Doom look, or Last Crusade look, I know these two fellas can help you.

Also, Peters Bros. hats (www.petersbros.com) are very nice as well, and retail for about 185.00 for a normal custom Indy fedora, and 285.00 I believe, for a custom Indy borsalino. I have a PB custom Indy right now, and have gotten many a compliment on it. Though it's not exactly as screen accurate as some people would like, it fits the purpose. I'd say it's more of a dress fedora.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Strider
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Well, Seeing as I'm on the current list of "hats in process" from Fedora, rest assured I will review the hat and post pics as soon as it comes in! That said, Steve's worked on a couple of my hats to date and I've been more than pleased with his work. If the AdventureBilts are at least as good as I think they will be (and I have reason to believe they'll be better than that :wink: ) then I think I've got a new personal hatter! :wink:

bink
myronw
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Vintage Mercury felt

Post by myronw »

Minnesota Jones,

If you are really interested in a Vintage Mercury hat body, contact Charlie (######)... He recently acquired a small lot of hat bodies produced in 1928, which are the old Vintage Mercury. I had him make me a hat from it, and it is definitely not like anything else. I have a very nice vintage Dobbs hat that is almost the same, but it's finished much nicer. Almost as nice as my Sterling Beavers!

Keep smiling,

Myron
SHARPETOYS
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by SHARPETOYS »

Marc wrote wrote:
Get a pure belly beaver from ###### and have it pounced to the smoothest surface possible. Then send it to Fedora for a reblock and specify a preblock as well. Also ask Fedora to put on the vintage grosgrain ribbon, to crease the hat and to spray water repellant on it.

With that said it is NOWHERE my intention to bash Fedora or his product. I consider him a good friend and know from experience that whatever he makes is top notch. A pure belly beaver however is even a notch better than a pure beaver body. If it's worth the extra 300 bux it up to yourself.

Regards,

Marc
I just spoke to Fedora and he said he will be backed up making his own hats and he certainly isn't going to finish another hatters hat.

As far as belly beaver or beaver felt is concerened. The belly beaver is just" HYPE" to sell a over priced hat.

Most 100% beaver hat bodies are belly beaver anyway. Most of the felt used by the felter is from the belly of the beaver and very little if any comes from the sides.

I have personally spoke to several felters and even they can't tell! So the issue is a mute point.

Why pay $300.00 more for a hat and still have to send it to Fedora when you can buy the same thing from him in the first place. A 100% beaver from Fedora for $225.00 is the deal of the century.

We all know he has the perfect Indy Jones block and he has reblocked so many of our hats now he surly knows how to make the proper ribbon and his liner and sweat are all top notch.

I have 2 100% beaver hats from Fedora and i also have a mercury felt beaver hat.

Is the mercury felt worth $750.00 or $1200?? No it isn't unless you just want to waste your money!

I'll take the beaver hat any day over the mercury felt hat in MHO.

Is it worth $300.00 more for a "Hyped" belly beaver ? Why of course it isn't.

Fedora's beaver IJ hat is just drop dead gorgeous!!
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Don't listen to any of these guys. :lol:

The ultimate Indy hat can only be judged by you, yourself. Everyone listed good hats and they all are I'm sure, but in the end it is you and your wallet that make the 'ultimate' decision concerning this. Besides the Disney fake fedora, I'd say almost all the hats listed here at this site are good in some way or form and all do the job of completing your costume very well.
I'm just kidding of course, about not listening to everyone. They all make good points. My money is on the Optimo's since they're the best I've come across yet, but then again, I haven't had the chance to see every hat available.
Good luck sorting out all this info.
theshape
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

the ulitmate indy hat

Post by theshape »

i think the ultimate indy hat is the herbert johnson from todd's costumes.
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

I just spoke to Fedora and he said he will be backed up making his own hats and he certainly isn't going to finish another hatters hat.
I didn't write anything about Steve finishing hats for other hatters Roger. I wrote about reblocking!
As far as belly beaver or beaver felt is concerened. The belly beaver is just" HYPE" to sell a over priced hat.
Roger, with all due respect to you, but if a hat is overpriced or not, should be in the eye of the customer. I personally don't feel that I paid to much for my belly beaver.

I 100% agree that
A 100% beaver from Fedora for $225.00 is the deal of the century.
and that
We all know he has the perfect Indy Jones block and he has reblocked so many of our hats now he surly knows how to make the proper ribbon and his liner and sweat are all top notch.
and also that
Fedora's beaver IJ hat is just drop dead gorgeous!!
But just because Steve offer is the steal of the century (remember; I agreed to it already) doesn't make the belly beaver overpriced. It only shows what a bargain an Adventurebilt is.

I have talked block details with Steve to a degree where I dreamt of how the transition point affects the final product and I would bet a 1,000 bux, that noone has a better block than he has. I also know for sure, that the rest of the materials used by him are top notch and that compared to what you get for the money, his prices are just insane low. But this STILL doesn't make all other offers overpriced.

I think what Steve said hits the nail:
It is in the eye of the beholder.
So, let's not start a quarrel over the subject. Ok?

Regards,

Marc
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Ok boys and girls, let's keep this civil. Question asked: Opinions given.

To repeat what has already been stated, it is in the eye of the beholder, and there are plenty are choices out there. It is up to YOU to decide.

Thank you

EDIT: I AM NOT KIDDING. TAKE YOUR PROBLEMS OFF LINE!
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Yep! Perception is reality! At least to me! I love the variations of 'Indy-style' hats I have had over the years. I do believe my GHIJBrown and my new GHIJCharcoal Gray are the tops in my collection! But, I have mood swings to my Baron BrownIJ and my Todd'sIJLC look too! So, depends on the mood and on mind set! Let's face it if you love fedoras and love Indy -- it's up to you, as the individual under the hat to decide what is best! Opions are just that -- we all have 'um and we all live by and with them, but they (the opinions) don't make any of us right or wrong, just different -- that, when you think about it, is a cool thing -- gives us -- us! Oh well, off the soap box...all regards! W>
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Agreed Dalex, agreed. I have to stand by my judgment, in my humble opinion, if you want a accurate Raiders lid, go with a Keppler. Yes the Mercury Indy is one of the best Indy Hats I have ever seen, quality wise, you can't beat 30's era felt, only Optimo is that good.
Mattdeckard
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mattdeckard »

Minnesota Jones wrote:I still think the most "ultimate" one out there is one of the five or so Mercury Indy's from Peter Bros. Pyro has one of these babys. An original 1930's era hat body, finished with Mercury as was the practice at the time. It's extremely thin, floppy, and 1930's vintage. It's one sweet hat. But as for price, it's not cheap. $1500 if I recall correctly...
If you want the Ultimate you have to make a time machine a grab the hat from Swales before it gets to Harrison Ford. That is if you are going for the hat for looks alone.

The next best I have seen is that Mercury spoke of above. That hat felt dense and tough as nails. The finish is only second in smoothness to the vintage Borsalino Little Dan has. The Mercury had that indestructable feel to it and was uber floppy.