Yet Another Raiders Jacket Question

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Yet Another Raiders Jacket Question

Post by Indiana Neri »

I had on Raiders tonight to callibrate (if thats the right word) my surround sound and I ended up watching from the escape from the Well of Souls to the end of the truck chase. Anyways, I had noticed something quite peculiar on Indy's jacket after he pushed the stone from the wall, where he spots the plane. On his right shoulder are these wierd patterns that look like tredmarks or something. But they look like they're underneath the jacket. If someone could get a screen grab of that sceen you'll see what I mean. I was wondering what those marks were and how they got there.

Indy N. :wink:

Also, I noticed that when Indy is clinging for dear-life on the front of the truck, his jacket looks like a different leather, possibly cowskin?
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Hey Indy N,

There is only one way to calibrate a surround sound system and that is with a sound pressure level meter. Radio Shack actually sells two and both are around $40. I don't know of another one that would be anywhere near this price. Radio Shack has a digital one and an analog one. The analog one is more accurate and is actually a little cheaper, so it is the one to get.

Use the meter set to slow response and C weighting and set all the speaker levels to the same sound pressure level using your receiver or pre amp's test tones.

If it is a THX unit, set it to THX reference level or 0 db on your master volume control and set all of your speaker levels to 75 db with your meter. If it is not a THX unit, then you will have to wing it. Set the master volume pretty loud and set all speaker levels to the same sound pressure level at 85 db.

I have been doing this for a few years and I can't set one by ear. You have a better chance of hitting the lottery than coming close setting the levels by ear. A properly calibrated surround sound system sounds incredible. For forty bucks, the improvement it makes is huge. Buying a sound pressure level meter is a no brainer.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

It sounded like he was trying to calibrate his system by ear. Trust me, if that was the case, he needed help with that.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

I'm sure that your professionally calibrated piddly home system sounds great.
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Post by Indiana Neri »

Wow! I never expected these kind of responses, lol. I did manage to "adjust" my surround sound perfectly, but my REAL inquirery was about the the distress patterns on the jacket. Thanks for the input on the surround sound, BTW.

ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

Yup, Buffleheads yer man for surround sound - I keep inviting myself round for a Raiders viewing but he won't stump up for the price of the plane ticket... :wink:

Getting back to your question, I'm not sure exactly what you mean Neri? Does it look like the leather has been pressed against a rock/temple wall or something? I'll have to check out that scene on the DVD - d'oh, now I have to watch Raiders again! :x :wink: :wink:
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

....I think, I too, have seen this scene that you are talking about....it's when Indy says to Marion:

...."when the Ark gets loaded, we're already gonna be on the plane".....

You can see some ripples or something on the leather. To me, it kinda looks like it was scratched. Kinda like when a cat scratches you on your skin, you can get a series of lil' scratches in a row....

But yea, any screen grabs would be great! :D

Regards,
Captain D
Vegeta1126
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Vegeta1126 »

Well to me the the jacket just looked like a bit of wear and tear but I really don't know. But here is a screen grab for all you to judge by :)

http://ancient-sun.com/users/hyuga/ripplejacket.jpg
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

Well done on getting the screengrab Vegeta - yeah, that's just plain weird, I've never even noticed that before. It looks like something has left it's impression on the leather, in storage maybe? I really don't know. :?:

It's a good pic of the fedora, too. You can clearly see the bobble in the ribbon which recently gave rise to 3K's folded sweatband theory.
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

Could have been a stunt guys jacket they grabbed just for that shot, because Ford probably sweated thru those suckers constantly.
'Blues
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Could there be a slight possibility that they shot the truck scene before this scene and this jacket happened to be one that survived being dragged behind it?

bink
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

On the bonus disc from the truck scene it looks like the stunt guy has a jacket with no action pleats. :shock: Especially when he is hanging on to the hood of the truck... I only wish I had a DVD player on my comp to do some screengrabs. I'll have to look at it again. :)

Regards,
Swin
antiquity collector
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by antiquity collector »

That's the distressing from the pocket knife. Drag the blade across tight leather and it will stretch it giving you those marks. It's primarily on the main jacket throughout most of the film and the publicity shots. That must have been the favorite jacket.

AC
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Neri »

This is a result of watching your favorite movie quadzillion times. That is a great pick all around, Vegeta, that's the exact shot I was looking for. :shock:

And yes, i did just make up a number, lol!
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Neri »

Or, unless they knew that they were going to use a tank sceen in a future Indy movie and they shot the sceen then decided "Nah!" and the end result was having a jacket with tank-treads on it??? :shock: ???

What?! No good? Shucks! Back to the drawing board.

Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

antiquity collector wrote:That's the distressing from the pocket knife. Drag the blade across tight leather and it will stretch it giving you those marks. It's primarily on the main jacket throughout most of the film and the publicity shots. That must have been the favorite jacket.

AC
I believe that on the bonus disc, they stated that they used a knife during the distressing of the jacket. I never knew what you could do with a knife to distress a jacket. You learn something new every day. I never noticed that on the jacket before.