My New Wested Dilema

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

IndyPip
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

My New Wested Dilema

Post by IndyPip »

OK, so several years on from purchasing a Goat Wested, I ordered a Lambskin during the recent UK 2004 Summit, ironically it arrived at my house while I was on a return visit to Wested :roll:

The jacket is beautiful :shock: so you might well ask what is the dilema?

Well IHO it is too short. I am 6'1" tall and while the jacket fits amazingly well across the shoulders and chest, I cannot help but feel it is slightly too short on the length and sleeves.
Some of this comes from comparing it to my goat, some from watching Raiders.
The 2 scenes in question are the opening sequence, namely after crossing the pit. Here I feel the jacket looks long.
Second scene - Monkey Death / Digging in the Wrong Place. Here the length makes mine look about right, but I still think sleeves need to be longer (especially since screen jacket has creases in sleeve).

Anyway, enough of my viewpoint, here's some pics for you all to comment on.
(I have pretty much made up my mind to order another - my son has already agreed to take this Wested off my hands).

One last thing - there are definite differences in the cut of the Goat, some of which give it a longer look and feel to the sleeves...

Mr. Das
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Das »

Length might be a personal thing, but I think it looks alright. I'm guessing you ordered a size R instead of a L?

The sleeves do look short though. How long have you had the jacket for? The UK summit might have been too long to hold onto the jacket, but if it still looks brand new, try contacted Wested about it.
English Adventurer
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by English Adventurer »

Hey Pip,

Good photos, I think that perhaps you're used to the longer length of your goat and dthat's what you prefer, in my opinion the jacket does look a little short, especially when it's done up, however this isn't to say that it doesn't look good on you; but when you're taller then average (like you and I) I tend to find it feels/looks better to have a slightly longer jacket; for me not only does it feel better and warmer, it looks better because it balences out with my longer legs!

Does any of that make sense? :shock: :?

Ian
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Nice looking jackets Pip! To me the new lamb's length looks spot on, but I definitely agree that the sleeves look a bit too short. Sounds like you already have this problem sorted out though. Good luck on the next jacket!
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

I think the length looks perfect. The sleeves do look like they an inch or 2 added on. I wonder if that is something Peter could fix fairly easily?
Texas Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Texas Jones »

I think, for a Raiders jacket, that the length is perfect. Now I have to agree that the sleeves are too short. Maybe you should go for the TOD style, which is 1 inch longer.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Looks spot on to me

Ken
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

I agree with the others - the 'body' looks fine - it could maybe go another inch if you wanted that TofD look, but for Raiders it looks great.

The sleeves look too short by an inch or two - you'll notice it more when they start to wrinkle up - but you could just ask Peter to change those for you.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I had the same problem. I somehow ended up with 3 inches longer than what I'd asked. Even if I accidentally asked for a long, which I did not, it'd still have been 2 inches longer than what was standard as a long. The sad part is, otherwise, it was the best jacket I've gotten from them yet.
Vince_K
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Vince_K »

Not that you need it with all these responses, but the body length looks great. The sleeves need another 1.5 to 2 inches. Wonderful pictures. :D
indy1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indy1936 »

sleeves look too short. the body could use a bit more. when you are tall it can look funny to have a short jacket with such long legs
Mr. Das
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Das »

Actually, I just thought of something.

The jacket I got was too long (See my post titled "Wested changes over the years").

And I just found out that Wested won't redo the jacket. I sent it back the first time cause it was too big, I sent it back the second time cause they forgot to put studs on the cargo pockets as well as the length being TOD length when I wanted Raiders. I was told that was the standard length for Raiders now. So I guess I was out of luck.

We probably could have traded, but I wanted a lamb, plus I doubt that's a size 46.
IndyPip
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyPip »

Thanks for you views!

I have bit the bullet and ordered another (ouch, that sure hurts the wallet).

I have asked for 1" extra on both the jacket and sleeves.

I am sticking with Ian, for the long legged Jones fan, you need a slightly longer jacket too.

The goat I have has a definite shorter back / longer front btw. I am pretty sure this isn't down to wear, but the way it was cut. So I also agree that the jacket has evolved over the years (but you all knew that anyway!)

Ooh, nearly forgot. Peter has changed (tanning, I think) sources for his goat - the sample he showed me was nearly as thin as the lamb, and the grain was almost as fine too. So if you were toying with getting a goat - now is THE time.
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Thanks for the pics, Pip. And good luck with your jacket. :)

Regards,
Swindy
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Indypip,I´m 6`1" myself and a broader built then you ,somewhat, so I dare say you should´ve gotten yourself size 43 or 44, if Wested makes in- between sizes......don´t know AND I should add 43Long regarding your pictures.Not to blaim you or anything,that´s what you should have ordered.just my opinion :wink: nothing personal
IndyPip
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyPip »

MARQ wrote:Indypip,I´m 6`1" myself and a broader built then you ,somewhat, so I dare say you should´ve gotten yourself size 43 or 44, if Wested makes in- between sizes......don´t know AND I should add 43Long regarding your pictures.Not to blaim you or anything,that´s what you should have ordered.just my opinion :wink: nothing personal
Hey it's honest opinions that help! So no worries.

In fairness to Wested, the jacket is a perfect fit except for the length - which is where opinions come in. I am in the rare, if somewhat costly, position of being able to compare the Wested length with My Length - or at least I will be come December 8 :wink:
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

Well, congrats on your new order mate - you have a venerable tribe of Wested's in your house now!

Let us know how the new jacket fits and best of luck with it!

I agree with your comments about the goat being cut slightly differently to the lamb. I think that's the case with my goatskin versus my lamb, too.

Regards,

Al
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

I would love to hear about the actual differences and what they are, once and for all. Did anyone ask Peter the last time, or has it been confirmed already that it's just collar/studs/length that does it between the jackets?

So... Tell me about your jacket length... And is your mother a lamb?

Regards,
Swindiana
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

IndyPip, the body length is spot on.

The sleeves could be 0.5 - 1 inch longer.
IndyPip
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyPip »

Swindiana wrote:I would love to hear about the actual differences and what they are, once and for all. Did anyone ask Peter the last time, or has it been confirmed already that it's just collar/studs/length that does it between the jackets?

So... Tell me about your jacket length... And is your mother a lamb?

Regards,
Swindiana
Having spoken with Peter over serveral years, I think it's fair to say he has always tried to get the most screen accurate jacket possible - but the feedback from many Gearheads has meant that the jacket has evolved.

Perhaps someone should start cataloging them and catagorizing them (ah, I see you have a '97 pre d-ring)
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

:lol: ...as with Swindiana and his bags. ;)

No, I was just curious about the current line-up really. I can see why there would be a few differences in the cuts between the current ones and the older ones.
In that case, I guess a Raiders jacket with the LC collar is an LC jacket without the press studs, or would even be a shorter Temple with a large collar. 8)

Cheers!

Swindy