Shirt and pants inquiries and a little help please...

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

IndianaKrueger
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Shirt and pants inquiries and a little help please...

Post by IndianaKrueger »

Hi everyone,

My second post here at COW...

So now we're onto the shirt and pants fiasco. I was always comforted in the fact that I would be able to get the Noel Howard gear, being top of the line and exactly what I wanted.

Well, apparently that is kaputz. I was very sad to read that he stopped offering them. While I am very curious as to why after so long, I have to say that I did mail him and ask that if not the actual items, could he please point me in the direction of the materials such as the proper color twill, etc. so I could at least have that in my pocket. Well, after three days there has been no answer, so apparently he just does'nt want anything to do at all with Indy fans. That's the breaks. In any event, my quandry... I ( while I appreciate the effort of ANYONE trying to replicate this stuff) am a huge Indy snob. I admit it. I will save for years to have everything exactly perfect. Down to the last visable feature. Down to something so small as the way the shirt pleats bunch at the thread spots. So that is my quest. On that front, I just don't like what else is being offered ( besides the Noel Howard). Some stuff I just say , o.k., but why is it plainly obvious that the pocket is about an inch and a half too long on the shirt, or the color is off here or whatever the case may be? I would rather hire a proffessional garment maker, perhaps and probably a production studio used in the film industry, to make my outfit from production reference provided by me and have that kind of control. It's the same reason I spent 5 years searching for an authentic ( lucky to find 2 of them) world war 2, naturally aged brass buckle for my web belt.

Can anyone perhaps start me on the long journey of tracking down the materials for the shirt and pants. Perhaps some leads on a supplier? That would be fantastic. Believe me, if someone here on the board nailed both designs of the items, I would pay through the nose and drop down the order in a new york minute. I just don't see that yet. So I am hoping someone could help.

Thanks
IK
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Welcome to COW IK. I'm guessing that you have checked out Wested's shirts and found them lacking. Personally they are close enough for me, but I can understand the need for screen accuracy. There was some talk awhile back on COW that Noel was going to start offering gear again. I also believe that he was having computer problems, which as far as I know still don't seem to have been sorted out. That might explain why you didn't receive any response to your mail. Don't despair yet. I'd try using the search feature to find the thread about Noel. Good luck!

Here is the thread: http://www.indygear.com/forum/viewtopic ... light=noel
Glurrk
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Glurrk »

Welcome to the club, IndianaKrueger! :D

Good luck on your search, but I always thought the Noel Howard shirt was too pink-colored for my taste. (There have been members who dyed theirs...)

P.S.- Interesting avatar... :shock:
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

Yeah - as hinted - Noel is back in the game.

I wouldn't take his gear to be gospel, however. As already stated, many have been dissatisfied with the colour of the shirt. In saying that, there is great debate over what the shirt looked like in real life, versus what it looked like in bright sunshine on the screen... so, in essence, there are at least two colours of shirt. The screen colour and the real colour.

The pants seemed pretty good; but the opinion of the Wested pants is VERY high, too.

Keep in mind, when it comes to being a stickler for the details, you're always behind the 8-ball. Even if you oder a Wested, the jacket you're getting is, allegedly, still a little different to the original - even when cut from the original plans - as it has had little nips, tucks and changes over the years.

It takes extreme dedication - in excess of what most people think is extreme dedication - to get 99% of the way there. 100%, I believe, is impossible.
Dakota Hurly
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Dakota Hurly »

as to Noel. be patient. If you look around Cow you'll see that he is in the process of aquiring materials. (belts, cloth, etc...) He should be back sometime. i myslef cannot wait. As far as screen accurate, I believe Noels shirts are more screen accurate to TOD and LC. I cannot speak to the colors in ROTA, in my opinion that has more to do with lighting than anything else.

Once again. Noel is coming back. :D
IndianaKrueger
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaKrueger »

Thanks for all the input. I am very pleased to hear that Noel will be back, and patience is something I have eons of. As for the pinkness of the shirt, yeah, I noticed that, but will be re-dying it. As for the screen accuracy of the cut of the shirt and pants, I am comfortable with them suiting my needs exactly.

It's not that I don't look the Wested. Very nice pants and pretty good shirt. But the color (Pants) is VERY different from what I am looking for, lets just say, and there are subtle but noticeable variations in the cut, seam and pocket flap areas. A little too different for my taste, that's all. It's the same reason I don't want any other whip but the Morgan. Setting aside the fact that I already have owned the ten-foot Morgan in the past and am completely sold on it above all others; I would not go with another whip if there were visible differences from that on the screen if at all possible. For instance the butt end (which differs in shape from just about every whip maker I have ever seen) which should be somewhat squared off at the edges, versus the egg-drop shape common today.

I told you guys, I am an Indy snob. It may take me forever to get the outfit together from the sheer price alone, but I will save those pennies for that blissful rainy day when I have everything ready to go for the Halloween bash of century. lol.

Thanks again for all your help. It's much appreciated.
IK
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

It may be that Noel's new shirts don't have that pinkish hue. I'm just guessing here, but as he's resourcing all his materials from scratch, perhaps it would be a good time for folks to bring the whole 'I had to redye my last shirt' thing to his attention.

I personally am very happy with the Wested shirt - I got an older version with the bigger pockets, but Scandanavia Jones made some changes to his shirt when he ordered and (I could have this wrong but) I understood the Wested shirts now have the 'correct' pocket size as standard. Jump in if you catch this SJ.

Also, it's worth noting that the Wested pants now come in a darker colour than the first batches produced.
IndianaKrueger
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaKrueger »

Hmmm.. I would not mind seeing the progress on the Westeds. Thanks for the heads up on that. But I think I would be more interested in hearing Mr. Howards replies to that issue being brought up.

IK
indiana black
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by indiana black »

E-mail Alastair at alastair@hand-embroidery.co.uk. I purchased 2 shirts and a pair of pants from him. The items were pricey approximately 300 for the pants and 200 for the shirt us dollars. However, you said you do not mind paying for accuracy. Alastair took over from Noel Howard. He is using the same models that Noel used. The pants are heavy cavalry twill, button fly, hollywood waist as shown in the picture at the indygear main site. The shirt as well however, he produces the shirt as seen on the screen or as close to it so you will not have to redye. I have been extremely pleased with the items and of course I should for the price. Remember the items are British made so unless you are slender you may want to size up. But he will gladly advise on those concerns. Good luck!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Wow. I'd rather buy another Wested for that money. :?
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Krueger, you may be interested in this thread. :wink:

http://www.indygear.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9162
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

ob1al wrote:Scandanavia Jones made some changes to his shirt when he ordered and (I could have this wrong but) I understood the Wested shirts now have the 'correct' pocket size as standard. Jump in if you catch this SJ.
I made the alterations myself after comparing my Wested shirt with my MBA one. I posted the results here, where it caught Peter's eye. I also e-mailed Peter my views on the pocket flap appearance, and he decided to shorten the flaps to more accurate dimensions.
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

Ah, I knew it was something like that. :wink:

Thanks mate. :)