How do you wear your whip?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

rcwpong
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by rcwpong »

Just a quick question to all those whipheads out there. Do you fasten the whip holder on the handle and have it stick out a bit? Or do you fasten it right after the thong and let it hang down loose? I seem to remember a few shots in the movies where the whole whip seems to be hanging loose and the handle is swinging. Maybe that's just because it wouldn't stay put during filming? How do you all prefer to fasten that whip?

I'm gonna be out on the town for a early Halloween party. We're going to a few haunted houses and some of us are dressing up. I've noticed that my handle tends to pull the coil tighter and slip if I let it hang "loose".

:whip:
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

Its really only useable if you fasten the handle into the whip holder it self. Running with the handle down like that is impossible, it will keep falling, and you will get irritated.
Kindest Regards
Adam
Glurrk
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Glurrk »

(Although this advice comes too late for Halloween) Get a whipholder from Todd's Costumes. They're adjustable with Velcro, and the whip will stay secured, regardless of how you wear it! :)
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

With relish. Note I didn't say ketchup...that would be how I eat my whip.

Just at a work party the other day...the failsafe position for me was to have the holder around the handle btwn the two knots, and I could just vary how much it stuck in front of me. I could only let the handle hang down when I coiled it tighter, but I didn't like how that looked and didn't want to put that much pressure on my new whip! :roll:
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

Most of the time these days, I either wear the whip thrown over the shoulder if I need to stow it quick during a show, (bandolier style. Just crack it loud to get a crowd's attention, and follow through "Hopkins-in-Zorro" style.) Also provides easy access to simply grab the handle, unwrap the whip, and transition easily into a nice overhead or sidearm.

For actually CARRYING it, I use what is essentially a long version of the "Indy" holster, but it does a double-wrap around the whip. The weight of the whip handle keeps the loop wrapped around it taunt, and therefore allows the unfinished side of the leather to grip the thong pretty tightly. I've dance around in the thing. No slippage.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Argh...NOW you tell me. My homemade whip holder was a good four inches too long, so I shortened it. I didn't even THINK to wrap it...! What a simple idea!

Oh, well, still have the rest of that old leather belt...back to the la-BOR-a-tory... :wink:
IndianaKrueger
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaKrueger »

Woop! My third post and havin' fun!...

The whip slip issue

Because of the weight of the handle and butt, the whip generally can't be worn "screen accurate" style without constant and extreme slippage in a standard keppler type holder ( which is my personal fave). Rather than sticking the handle through the holder, What I did that worked very well was to wrap with the section of the whip that "loops" through the holder ( and is non-visible unless looking extremely closely and from the direct side) with tention wire ( over a small, 1 -1/2 inch patch of foam colored tan), and then loop that through a small incision through the back of the holder; anchored and tied off using a small steel washer. The result- a virtually invisible bracing mechanism that holds the whip in the exact form you want. No slippage whatsoever. Of course, if you wanna crack it, your screwed. But I myself never cracked my Morgan over cement or hard surfaces of any kind.

IK
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

Sorry, Jerry. Story of my life I'm afraid. Day late and a dollar short.

You got any spare change?

Will work for bullwhips... ;-)
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

thefish wrote:Sorry, Jerry. Story of my life I'm afraid. Day late and a dollar short.

You got any spare change?

Will work for bullwhips... ;-)
hehehe...wasn't blaming you, I just figure it's a corollary to Murphy's Law...

...'sides, now I know what to do w/ the rest of the belt. ;)
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

rcwpong -

I have to backtrack and actually answer your question seriously, now...cause things have changed.

I was getting by just coiling it and closing my whip holder around near the handle, but at the QM last week it really slipped a couple times. ITG had her falls looped around the end of the whip...I looked around, and so did Serg, and pretty much everyone else. Hunh.

The fall was wrapped around the coils of the whip on one side, and the last part of the fall tucked into a previous loop so it could be just yanked out by pulling on the popper. Nice and snug.

So I gave in and tried it, and boy, that whip stayed still. Since it didn't unravel (from either end), it didn't really matter if the handle was in the holder or not, but just for looks I closed the holder over the handle so just the smaller knot was trapped, and the butt end stuck out. Stayed like glue.

It isn't ready for action...if Barranca cocked his pistol, Indy'd be trying to unravel the fall first before whipping...but for 'peacetime ops' it works. ;)