Cleaning a dirty liner?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

McFly
Scoundrel

Cleaning a dirty liner?

Post by McFly »

Hey guys,

My liner is looking a little shabby inside my trusty Akubra, and I'm wondering what the best way to fix that is. I've heard that I could take a baby wipe to it, but before I do anything, I thought it best to consult the masters of gear. It's not dirty like something got spilled or something, it's more just from natural wear, maybe sweat and dirt, (ie. from putting the hat back on after Cross Country practice, or worse, a race)

What can I do? I don't want to remove the liner.

In Christ,
Shane
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

But if you want to replace it, now is as good a time as any!

There are still 'Michaelson Rocks' boxer shorts available at:
http://www.cafepress.com/cp/store.aspx?s=nim3

(Sorry, really couldn't pass that one up.) :wink:
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Yeah! What about 'Michaelson Rocks!' -liners?
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

I think to remember that Indy says something like "read Michaelson, chapter 4-5" or so to his students in Raiders... not sure though.

Is pretty much like those unimportant bounty haunters from Episode V. Nobody remember their names, nobody knows who they are :wink: :lol:

Regards,

Marc
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

BUMP!

So, when you say, "wash it in soapy water," how exactly do you do that? You can do that in the washing machine, or by hand, in the sink, etc. etc.

In Christ,
Shane
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

I would wash it by hand in a sink.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

With a sponge?

In Christ,
Shane
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Hmm... would that work? I'd like it clean and nice before the QM summit! I'm getting really excited, and my hat has to be all prettied up, y'know?

In Christ,
Shane
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I would NOT send a fedora to a dry cleaner!!!! Unless there is a shop which specializes in cleaning fedoras and the like, it's a bad idea to send it to a dry cleaner. There's no knowing what the cleaning chemicals could do to your hat! :shock: That, and to properly clean a hat, it'll need reblocking and I can assure you I've never known of a dry cleaner who keeps hat blocks on the premises. Besides, I'd be surprised if they even took your hat. They'd likely tell you they don't clean hats.

As for the liner, your best bet would be to carefully remove the liner and clean it as Langpuss did. Be aware that if you do this, they seemingly used a hot glue gun to tack in the liner, so you may have to use "gentle force" to remove the liner. I removed the lining from my Akubra and plan to clean it this way. Or, you could just leave everything the way it is and not clean it, since it'll probably be on your head most of the time! :wink:

You could always try the baby wipe idea if you really don't want to take the hat apart, but keep in mind that places that professionally clean fedoras will remove the liner AND the sweatband in the process, putting them back in after the hat has been cleaned.

bink
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Hmmm... baby wipes! (almost typed whipes... interesting!) I think I may give that a shot. I do agree, I wouldn't send the hat to a dry cleaner.

In Christ,
Shane
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

(I think it was) Marc who told me that instead of using glue, you can use some double sided tape or similar to hold the liner in place - this allows for easy removal for reblocks (or cleaning) and doesn't damage the felt when you have to tear the glue away. :)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Or, you can use a small dap of Elmer's glue, which is water soluable (sp?) and that will also keep the liner in place, but come away easily when you need to remove the liner again. McFly, personally, I'd try Langpuss' method, but let us know what you end up doing.

bink
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

*tears out the liner violently*

Just kidding... okay, I'm opting for Operation: Lang Soap.

In Christ,
Shane
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Alright, I cleaned it, let it dry, and put it back in with double sided tape (which gave me a little trouble... lining it up and keeping it attached. It kept falling off). I didn't iron it, but that's alright... I just wanted it clean before the QM summit. :wink: :lol:

Anyway, it looks great - better than it did when it was new, actually. It had come with a brown mark in it, looked like it was from the sweatband (which I also cleaned... it had faint remnants of hair styling product on it). So thanks everybody for your advice and help, and God bless!

In Christ,
Shane
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

IndyMcFly wrote:... okay, I'm opting for Operation: Lang Soap.
For some reason, I had to read that three times...I kept seeing: "Operation: Lang Soup."
IndyMcFly wrote:I didn't iron it, but that's alright... I just wanted it clean before the QM summit. :wink: :lol:
Okay, that's it, we're GONNA have to inspect his hat liner at the QM...if we don't, he's just gonna show it off anyway... :wink:

Since you guys shared all this great info, now I'm gonna have to buy a hat liner. :)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

ClintonHammond wrote:"Unless there is a shop which specializes in cleaning fedoras"

I figured that was obvious enough that it didn't need stating...

*sheesh*
That's because I am MASTER of the Obvious!!!! :roll:
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Indiana Jerry wrote:Okay, that's it, we're GONNA have to inspect his hat liner at the QM...if we don't, he's just gonna show it off anyway... :wink:
*hides his happiness* :lol: :lol: :lol:

In Christ,
Shane
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

That's ok Jerry. I thought I read 'LAVA soap', so we're both in need of new glasses. #-o :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Michaelson Rocks Lava Lamp? Hmm...Jess, get the merchandising catalog out again, I think we've got a hot one here...