Fedora spotted in Indy's closet in Raiders

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Fedora spotted in Indy's closet in Raiders

Post by 3thoubucks »

The hat is at the bottom of the pic. You see the top and front of it. Can someone get a better capture please? Watching the movie, playing with the DVD remote, I started thinking Indy's fedora should be in his room. I didn't feel certain it was a hat, looking at the capture, but after zooming in 5x and running the movie, I'm absolutely certain that it is a hat. The camera moves in the shot, and the changing perspective makes it clear. Looks really dusty, reminds me of Antiquity collectors hero hat. It's very tapered, but that may be because it's being crushed somewhat between the light colored objects. Image
Last edited by 3thoubucks on Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

This definitely proves Indy was a slob. Just look at the mess in his closet.

Seriously though, I'm gunna have to agree that it could be anything. How you can figure it looked like a bash on anyones fedora is beyond me. Unless of course you have some sort of equiptment we're all not aware of and can see it with crystal clarity.

3K, you are THE Indy fedora conspiracy theorist. I tip my turned but forever wireless fedora to you, sir.
Colby
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Colby »

This is practically invisible for me on screen but after a few screenshots and some serious brightening and equalizing I was able to make a pretty good image of the hat in the closet. It definetly looks like an old tapered hat.

http://mercury.walagata.com/w/cmsephiro ... closet.jpg
Colby
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Colby »

Still very odd looking either way... Could be shoes... Could be some throw-away ribbonless tapered old hat. Who knows...
Whipcrack
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Whipcrack »

Maybe that is where D.B. Cooper has been hiding all these years.....

Thanks
Bill
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

After highlighting, I think they're his Aldens. Looks like stitches and speed lacers to me.

bink
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

Colby, from your picture, I would say they are definitely a pair of Aldens or Alden-style shoes. You can clearly make out the laces on the right side.

You can see the heels of other shoes hanging down on the rack next to them.
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

I'm with hemingway on this one. At first glance, and the first pic, I thought that was a flat shelf, and taking that into consideration, it could be shaped like a hat. But upon closer inspection, and the second pic, it seems to be a bin of some sort at the bottom, and the boot(Alden??) is sticking halfway out of it.
'Blues
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Lang wrote:
I told you!
Actually, Lang you wrote:
Looks more like a pait of shoes to me.
What, pray tell, is a "pait" of shoes???? :lol: :wink:
I'm just being a smarty-pants!
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Well done, Lang! :lol:
Oh yeah, I see it here... in my Dictionary of Improvisational Nonsense!
JAN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by JAN »

As our fine member VP would have stated:

It´s shoes!

and it is.. :wink:

Best regards

JAN
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

That's a hat. The so called "speed laces" are parts of the large white object behind it. It looks like an archealogists parasol (you know, for shade while digging- you can see that the end has a cylindrical spike on it, like most parasols.- The spiral segments of the parasol are tricking you into believing they are lace hooks.... Now look at the white line with the two humps on it a couple inches above the hat - you can see that it's a highlighted fold of the pants hanging down. There are three folds in the pants. What looks like the top of the entrance of the "shoe".. is really just the second pants fold. How could the side of a shoe that's so convoluted, it looks exactly like the top dent of of a fedora transform into a straight line so suddenly?---- I'll admit it, it is a shoe, but that's only an illusion. :roll: Alden owners should be thrilled anyway...
Last edited by 3thoubucks on Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

It does look like a hat...must be...it would make sense as with continuity people the object is to make the place (in this case, Indy's home) look as 'lived in' as possible and as personal as possible...so his hat tossed into the bottom of the closet would make sense. W>
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

Are we looking at the same thing??? I see a heel as well...and there is a shine to it. I've never seen felt shine before.

3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

Shiny ribbon? What's that under the "shoe", if not the brim? Platform Aldens? :wink:
Last edited by 3thoubucks on Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

OK, I agree. A ribbon can shine. But I still see a shoe.

This is like one of those pictures at the mall, where you have to stare at it until you go cross-eyed, until you see an image.
'Blues
IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaGuybrush »

Dude, that's a shoe. It's even got the same stitching on the sides that Aldens do. You can see the opening at the top. Unless you wear Aldens strapped to your head you can't call that a hat.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Plain as day: Shoes. Boots, to be more specific. You can see the gloss of the leather, the stitching on the uppers and the laces. They're shoes. And the sky is blue. :D :D
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

3K,
Not at all what you thought it was, but still a new discovery.

Bravo.
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

Not so fast! I have exposed the "speed lace gromets" as spiral turns in the parasol in back of the fedoa. They angle upwards from left to right. This is consistent with the left portion of parasol. You can't see them in the stills posted here, but if you watch the DVD with zoom, you can clearly see the spirals in the largest portion of the parasol to the left of the hat, and they also angle upwards left to right. - Now, how do you explain that vertical black line in the center of the alleged "heel"?? I'll explain it- We are looking at the back of the hat, the bow is thus on the left, and that is the edge of the back of the bow. :D
Last edited by 3thoubucks on Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Neolithic
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Neolithic »

I think you've defined a new term for me.
Fedora Fever 8)

I can see 3K in court with his photographic evidence printed out on an A1 board. He holds a pointer and slaps it on the circled image- yes friends, boot or hat? There was another fedora on the grassy knoll you know.
Trevelyan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trevelyan »

I'm sorry, but that's a boot to me. I don't see anything that resembles a hat.
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

looks like a hat on top of a boot to me. That red line goes right over the tight front pinch of a raiders hat.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Methinks it's a Rorschach test!
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

IndianaGuybrush wrote:Dude, that's a shoe. It's even got the same stitching on the sides that Aldens do. You can see the opening at the top. Unless you wear Aldens strapped to your head you can't call that a hat.
What's wrong with wearing Aldens strapped to your head? They are screen accurate, mine are not tapered, and they stand up well to all kinds of weather. #-o
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

Yep, they're boots. I've really tried to 'see' the hat and I just don't see how anybody can see a fedora there. See?
Mattdeckard
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mattdeckard »

Somebody post a clearer picture... I can only make out the suit jacket sleaves in the closet.
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

3thoubucks, I think you're just playing what is known in the industry as "silly buggers" at this point, right? :)
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

I want to thank Colby for his screen grab, HOWEVER, his contrast is up too high. I am looking at my tv as I write this AND THE HEEL SIMPLY IS NOT THERE! It's BROWN FELT right down to white line. There IS a bit of true black to the left, but that is clearly the side of one of the black shoes on the rack. They have black rubber heels hooking the white pole, but the soles are nearly white leather. You can see the bottoms of these soles pointing to the right, there is no way you wouldn't see the black side of the shoe in front of the hat. I think you can tell from the pic I posted that there's brown felt where the heel is claimed to be except where you see the side of the black shoe. Image
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

Okay. That picture helps. I see the hat. I just couldn't make it out with the other screen grabs.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Yeah, darken it a bit more, you'll see a leprauchan, too.

It's a shoe!

Somebody slap a pic of an Alden up there, oriented the same way, PLEASE?

Perhaps they are on a shoe rack which is pointed to the side of the closet. Then you'd see this side of the shoe, it would be angled down a bit just like the pic, you'd have a white line if it was a metal shoe rack reflecting light or if it painted white, and the toes would be hidden behind the door frame like they are in that picture. The clear one. With the red circle. Without the leprauchan.

EDIT: But to be fair, when I saw the first pic, I thought it was a hat, too.
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

I am at times persueded that that is a boot, but not a pair of boots. There seems to be a white line indicating the opening of the boot, but I have explained this as the pants hanging down. Colby drew his red line through the other high-lighted portion of the pants just above it, eliminating the humps, which makes it look like there is another boot opening. But look at my grab I just reposted- there are two big humps in it, clearly the pants, and not another boot opening. So why would there be only ONE boot?
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Mikey's right. Those are a pair of black shoes just to the left of what looks like an Alden (the thing circled). The black shoes are pointed in, it looks like, so we are seeing the shine off the back of the shoes, and the heels hang down a bit over the edge of the shoe rack, obscuring the edge a bit.

The Aldens seem to be on the rack the wrong way, or he's got shoe racks in there at a couple different diretions or something. Or they just placed it that way to dress the set.
Trevelyan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trevelyan »

Ok, I looked at this scene from a slightly different shot, and here's what I see. Indy has a wooden rod at the bottom of his closet used as a shoe rack. On it, he has a couple of rolled up papers, one pair of black shoes with a black heel and light brown leather soles neatly placed on the rack, and one brown boot with dark laces stuck sideways behind the rod with a lace dangling over it and the front of the boot visible underneath the rod. There is no hat, and I don't know why there would be a hat at the bottom of someone's closet on a shoe rack. Here's a low quality version of what I was looking at more clearly in photoshop before I converted it into jpeg.

3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

There's plenty of room left on the bar to hook Alden heels over, but a hat doesn't have heels so It's not on the bar. The 'shoe lace" I noticed a while back, and it deserves more scrutiny! Quickly, it seems to disappear under the front cover of a grey book near the books spine. Vintage books had ribbon book marks sewn into the binding. It could be a bookmark. Or, it could be the corner piece of the shoe rack.
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

There is a hat rack to the right of Indy's front door, with 3 empty hat hooks. I suspect his grey is in a box in the top shef in the closet, and his filthy brown one, the one he and Noodleman sat on might as well be on the floor But it's not specificly on the floor, because it is tilted. He keeps his adventure gear in his closet, except for his revolver, maybe so he can get to it quick.
Last edited by 3thoubucks on Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
golpeo_rapidamente
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by golpeo_rapidamente »

i aint seeing
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

Anyone got a blue laser DVD and HDTV? Let's get a decent PIC! No one really cares about this, ...but it's a Mystery! (and where does Indy keep his Aldens anyway...?) You've got to watch it first hand at 5x zoom on DVD to see that it's a HAT..and not a boot :)
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

...a boot with the "Raider's turn."
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

Speaking of "Raiders Turn", click on the link below. It's becoming "www. ridershat.COM" Still constructing the new site....
Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shawnkara »

3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

So.... Where's the top bash? And ..WOW!, those little white stitches around the boot opening really GLOW in the film still! And what happened to those light tan stridations in the heel- they seem to be missing as well? The color looks totally different. The hat looks like the color of the hat, not the boot.
Last edited by 3thoubucks on Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shawnkara »

Wanna get technical? OK. It's a DISTRESSED boot. When Aldens age and get dirty the lighter layers of the heel darken. Of course you won't see them in a grainy still of a dark closet. You can also see that all Aldens distress differently from the pics I put together. It's a boot, man. You've made a good argument as to why it's NOT a boot. Now, show us why it IS a hat.

http://www.sovereignmodel.com/boot.html NEW PICS ADDED.
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

There are exrtreme curves at the back of both Swankara's new boot pic and his distressed boot pic. Note that the left side of the HAT'S crown in the closet ..IS STRAIGHT! He takes a STRAIGHT line, modifies it into curves with his hand drawn white line, then extrapolates that into the highly curvacious actual Aldens pics.http://www.sovereignmodel.com/boot.html Swankara's "artistic" white line is PURE fantasy. And there is no "heel". Do you see the "backward "S" profile of the back of the actual Aldens, in the raw hat pic? I sure as heck don't! I see a staight line! And remember- that white line you mistake for the openig of "the boot", is pants! PANTS YOU CAN SEE HANGING DOWN FROM UP ABOVE!!!!!!!!----but that old dark brown shoe...it has that faux front pinch right below the ankle...No, 3thoubucks, don't even consider it! THAT IS A HAT ! I see the wanna-be front pinch on that old Alden, but I dont see no center dent!
Last edited by 3thoubucks on Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mattdeckard
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mattdeckard »

I can't see a hat.

I want to believe!

That way i can justify the hats I keep on the bottom of my closet.
Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shawnkara »

OK, here's two more pics. One shows a red line around what I think is a boot. There's a white line around what I think 3thou is seeing as a hat, in profile, from the right. The white oval is where I'm guessing he sees the right dent?
http://www.sovereignmodel.com/boot.html
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

Little fact about the Aldens used in the films. The heel was all black on HFs Aldens. He didn't have the little wooden "shims" in the heel, like the current Aldens have. The scene in the desert truck chase shoes a boot pressing down on the accelorator, that DOES HAVE the shims, but I've heard rumor that that is a stunt mans boot.
'Blues
Mattdeckard
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mattdeckard »

I vote for a pair of boots... a pair!
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

I say it's a boot. Even before the Shawnkara illustration pages. Let's add a poll to this thread!!
Trevelyan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trevelyan »

I don't think we need a poll. That is clearly a boot.