How to ask Mr. Strain about a whip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

How to ask Mr. Strain about a whip

Post by Indiana Croft »

When I call/get in touch with Joe Strain, do I just ask for a whip made like a Morgan 405?
I've been to his site and I see no mention of a "Indy whip".

I think this is the whip I'll be purchasing, I've saved the 500.00 it'll take to buy, yes I know I should only need about 380.00 + 7.50 for shipping or will price be different because I'm asking for a whip not shown on site.

My spec's: 8' 12 plaite. 8 inch handle w/turk head.

But what color do I ask for and I'm not sure what they call the braided loop at the end. Thanks
Croft
midwestwhips
Vendor

Re: How to ask Mr. Strain about a whip

Post by midwestwhips »

Croft,

It's my understanding that the products shown on Joe's site is his "production" items.

Just tell him you want an 8 foot, 12 plait Indy. I have always considered what made an Indy whip an Indy whip, is that it was 12 plait, 8 inch handle, with a wrist loop.

The standard indy Turks head that david morgan does on his indy's are the 5part-4bight turks heads, which joe does I belive by request. The knots on Joe's western stage props indys, I have always seen 7part-6bight turks head, which is just a step up from the 5part-4bight.

So if you want the turks head knot the same as the morgan just ask for a larger 5part-4bight, on the butt knot.

As for the price, it should be the same as his 8 foot lonestar bullwhip on his site, as far as I know it is basically the same whip construction, but just with a 10 inch handle, no wrist loop, and a more intracate knot.

As for color, It all depends on what hides joe has in stock, because I know hides are getting more scarce due to the drought. He probobly has a full stock of all colors. Talk to joe about it and he can help you decide.

The standard color for indy's are usually Natural Tan. The next color that looks like some of the darker whips in the movie is saddle tan or whiskey. But really it is an asthetic, and it depends on your personal preference.

I hope this helps, and be sure to post pics when you get the whip, I love seeing new Joe strain whips!!!

Regards,

Paul Nolan
MidWestWhips
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

Tell him you want a 8ft "Indy" style 12 plait whip, with an extra large Morgan-style knot like he has done for some of the other guys on the board here. Also tell him you want a wrist loop.

The key to getting that Indy look is the extra large Morgan style knot.
Last edited by zohar on Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Zohar,

Why would he want to tell him to give him a 10ft "Indy" style 12 plait, when he is looking to buy an 8 foot whip?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Can I get a 2' 58 plait whip? JUST KIDDING!!! :wink:

bink
jerryrwm
Vendor

Post by jerryrwm »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Can I get a 2' 58 plait whip? JUST KIDDING!!! :wink:

bink
Yes you can. All you gotta do is ask. Of course it would be more symetrical to make it 56 plait or 60. Multiples of four work the best.

<chuckle>

Jerry.
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

Bufflehead Jones wrote:Zohar,

Why would he want to tell him to give him a 10ft "Indy" style 12 plait, when he is looking to buy an 8 foot whip?
Egad, I completely missed that part of his post. I edited to reflect the mistake. He said "405", and as best I can tell from Morgan's site, the 8ft is a 453, and the 10ft is a 455. I thought he had mistaken the 455 for a 405.

Anyway, here's the difference between the knots.

Extra Large Morgan-style, 5 part, 4 bight knot. This is what you want if you really want the definitive screen accurate whip.

Extra Large WSP-style 7 part, 6 bight knot. It's a little more secure feeling knot. I had this one made extra large too, so it's about as big as the Morgan style above.

Again, in my opinion the key to getting a screen accurate whip is to get the "Extra Large" Morgan style 5 part, 4 bight knot.

I'm not an accuracy freak, but since I have freakishly huge hands, and I actually crack my whips every other day or so, I wanted something that would be more comfortable to me.

Now as for colors, you'll need to talk to him. Like Mr. Nolan stated above, it's getting very difficult to get any natural tan hides, which is what Indy's whip was made of. Saddletan looks exactly like Whiskey, and in my opinion, both of these look more "Indy" than the natural, because in the movies, the whips were old looking, and quite dark most of the time.

Your best bet is to give Joe a call, and explain to him exactly what you want. He is always friendly, and more than accomodating to help you get exactly what you want.
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: How to ask Mr. Strain about a whip

Post by Indiana Joe »

Croft,

When I called Joe earlier this year to order mine I just told him that I wanted an 8 foot Indy whip and he asked me, "with the larger Turk's knot?" Of course, I told him yes and thus assume Joe's referencing the 5part-4bight knot. My point is that Strain is familiar with the Indy whip as well as David Morgan's work. So, he has a good idea of what Indyfans are looking for.

Prior to moving to the North, I took my natural tan 8-foot Strain over to Indydawg's house and Dawg remarked that other than a Morgan, he thought it was the most screen accurate whip he'd seen. It's that good-looking. And it cracks great too!! :D :whip:

I.J.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

jerryrwm wrote:
binkmeisterRick wrote:Can I get a 2' 58 plait whip? JUST KIDDING!!! :wink:

bink
Yes you can. All you gotta do is ask. Of course it would be more symetrical to make it 56 plait or 60. Multiples of four work the best.

<chuckle>

Jerry.
LOL! Yeah, but would the whip even crack? It would be more of a leather night stick, wouldn't it? :lol: :lol:

bink
jerryrwm
Vendor

Post by jerryrwm »

Bink,

It would crack. But on little short whips like that there are not two bellies and bolsters. 30" signal whips are around, some that I've seen are 32 plait. They usually have one belly and a bolster.

I made a 30" stockwhip for my Dad as a hatband a couple years ago. It had a core and a short belly about 8" long. The fall was actually the end of the core and the 8 plait overlay ended in a 4 strand hitch. I used a bamboo 'kabob skewer for the handle and half-plaited it. It was kinda cute. He gets all kinda of comments about it when he is travelling.

Now, making a 56 plait "Tiny Indy' would be a long term project. keeping thos strings sorted would be a gas. They would have to be less than 0.5mm and taper down to hair width. Don't know if my eyes could handle that.

Jerry
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

:lol: :lol: :lol: Shows you how little I know about whip making! I can see it now, a genuine Indy whip that actually cracks, made for tiny action figures! :wink:

bink
Robert Duke
Vendor

Post by Robert Duke »

A few points to discuss here. Zohar, your Strain whips are nice. The 7 x 6 WSP I notice only has 2 passes. You mentined that it was "about as big" as the 5 x 4 3 pass and it seems you preferred the 5 x 4 to be a screen accurate whip. It's funny how anyone could notice the different turkshead knot but not the color of the whips Indy uses. "We" are going by David Morgan's standard #453 as in his description and followed that. Knowing that is the standard for screen accurate, but also the color which is a lot more unmistakable than trying to discern the turkshead knot in a screen capture. Call David Morgan and ask him for the Indy bullwhip. He'll sell you the natural tan.

If someone wants a screen accurate whip, that is the standard. Settling for whiskey or even saddle tan is fine, but not screen accurate by any means. David Morgan would tell you that, but if you want it in whiskey or saddle tan, he might do it. He doesn't offer it. The color he says it comes in is Natural Tan. Period.
http://www.davidmorgan.com/bullwhips.html
He then adds ' Black and white whips are available on special order.

To those who don't know the difference between the colors I am including a color swatch that I received from the tannery in Australia where I buy my hides. The swatches are all shaped exactly that of a kangaroo but much smaller. See if you can pick out the colors
Now this is a test. See if you can name the colors from Red (obvious) going counter clockwise.

See y'all in Dallas at the DFW Whip Weekend V this weekend. I will be there to get the title and a few medals.
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

Red, Natural Tan, Saddle Tan, Whiskey, brandy, and Black.

What do I win? :-)

Regards,

Paul Nolan
MidWestWhips
jerryrwm
Vendor

Post by jerryrwm »

The eternal gratitude of everyone here that didn't know the colors. <chuckle>

Paul, you coming down to Dallas?

Jerry
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

Mr. Duke, I know that the whips from the movie were natural tan, as I stated in my previous post. They were also beaten to heck, and looked as dark as whiskey in many of the shots, in my opinion.

I personally didn't "settle" for whiskey or saddletan. I liked both of these colors, and specifically asked for them when I ordered, as I have had and handled numerous natural tan whips in the past, and didn't like the "pinkish" hues they have, which in my opinion, don't look like Indy's whip (to my eyes).

That said, you're correct: to have the same whip as in the Indy movies, you need the natural tan hide, 12 plait, tapering down to a 6 plait finish, with a 5x4 3 pass larger sized turkshead, a whitehide fall, black cracker (or no cracker depending on the scene you're going for) and a flat braided wrist loop.

In my opinion, in order to get a 'screen accurate' whip, you'll also need to leave that natural tan whip out in the sun, and use the heck out of it for a long time before it will really look screen accurate. It is partly because of this, that I personally like the darker hides. I'm not advocating that he goes this route. This is only my opinion.

I stand by what I stated above:
Now as for colors, you'll need to talk to him. Like Mr. Nolan stated above, it's getting very difficult to get any natural tan hides, which is what Indy's whip was made of. Saddletan looks exactly like Whiskey, and in my opinion, both of these look more "Indy" than the natural, because in the movies, the whips were old looking, and quite dark most of the time.
To play another guessing game, can any of you folks guess what colors my two whips are above, without going back to my original posts? I haven't digitally altered them at all, other than to crop them. Both were taken when when the whips were new, with the same camera, in the same room, under the same lighting conditions.
Robert Duke
Vendor

Post by Robert Duke »

midwestwhips wrote:Red, Natural Tan, Saddle Tan, Whiskey, brandy, and Black.

What do I win? :-)

Regards,

Paul Nolan
MidWestWhips
Paul,

You get a cookie :lol:
Robert Duke
Vendor

Post by Robert Duke »

zohar wrote: I personally didn't "settle" for whiskey or saddletan. I liked both of these colors....

To play another guessing game, can any of you folks guess what colors my two whips are above, without going back to my original posts?

hmmm

Zo,

You used the phrase "definitive screen accurate whip" and also "Again, in my opinion the key to getting a screen accurate whip is to.."

I only thought you were into screen accuracy and replied as such. And I wanted to make clear to others also. There's no need to defend yourself because I am not attacking you. People order saddle tan Indy bullwhips as well as 2 tone Indy bullwhips from me and I don't argue with them. Once in a while someone orders a black Indy. No big deal to me at all. I have plenty of hides on hand including about 40 natural tan kangaroo hides. But seriously, it is a problem for whipmakers to get their hands on any color of hide, whether it's natural tan, whiskey, saddle tan or black. If a whipmaker wants to order ANY hides today, most will tell him to wait a few months. They just don't have any available. Besides now the price of roo has doubled. Order even one hide and expect to pay around $100 for it. And people fall over because a good roo bullwhip is too expensive - like $200 or $300. Believe me, we're not getting rich. I'd say we're not even making minimum wage.
Winrich, Nolan, Stenhouse, Shold, Jarrell, Jerry R, Markell??? What do you say? Did I miss anyone? David Morgan? :oops:
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

You used the phrase "definitive screen accurate whip" and also "Again, in my opinion the key to getting a screen accurate whip is to.."
I can understand what you mean. I think my second post was just unclear. In short, I think that the key to having a screen accurate whip is to have that larger knot, but I didn't do it for screen accuracy. I did it because I have big hands.

Getting back on topic, I'd also recommend that Croft gets clear shellac, instead of the yellow type that Joe sometimes uses on the natural hides.
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

Jerry,

Your welcome, ;-)

Unfortunately, I can't make it down to visit. I would love to though. Things have been getting tough because of the hide problems, and my car needs some long awaited work done to it. Give everyone my regards, and have a little extra fun for me! :-)

Zohar,

Is the top picture saddle tan and the bottom picture whiskey? Do I win some milk to go with my cookie? :-))

Robert,

First off, what kind of cookie?

Second,

Yes it is getting extreemely harder to get hides, I had been waiting on natural for atleast 4 or 5 months. Black is just as hard to get a hold of. And the problem doesn't end with it being difficult to get them, then once you get the hides in they are undersized(the last batch I got was the smallest ever, under 65dm each) and the quality of the hides waver. Some are stretchier than usual, some are just plain weak throughout the whole hide due to malnourishment. Then they are covered in tick marks, scaring from fighting, I had one hide that you could tell it had gotten tangled in a barbedwire fence! Of coarse you have to cut around all those marks which adds to waste which you pay for. I'd love to someday add up the average money lost on each hide just from waste. After a while you get creative and find uses for some of it, but there's no way of getting around having waste.

It seems the only hides that there is no trouble getting is Brandy. But at the same time, I hardly ever get an order for brandy. I still have the same brandy hides from a batch of 20 of them that I bought last year. I've used 3 or 4 of them since.

I wholeheartedly agree Robert, we are not getting rich. I had to borrow $100 bucks from my brother this month to make sure I could cover my credit card bill. I had bought $1000 bucks worth of saddle tan and whiskey hides, and thats all I had planned on getting until next month. Then I get the call that natural tan came in, and it was going fast, so I put in an order for another $1000 that I hadn't expected to have to pay for until next month.

When you break it down, after you take out materials and figure out how much time you spent on the whip, from cutting to putting the finish on, whipmakers really aren't making that much. And that's not including the time spent on the phone with customers, and leather suppliers, or the internet replying to emails and keeping up with whats going on. Then if you do alot of wholesale, which every FULL Time whipmaker has to do to constantly be working, its a bit less. It's enough to live on and not much more. And if you cut a finger or wear out a muscle, you better hope you have a back up plan. The private orders help out a lot, but even with all the people out there ordering, it still isn't enough to do private orders full time.

I say anyone who is making whips full time is only doing it because they love it, and they have the understanding that they will NOT get rich, they will have worn out hands, etc...

Well I've rambled on enough, a small glimps into the life of a whipmaker.

Regards,

Paul Nolan
MidWestWhips

Ps-anyone want to add to that? :-)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

My hat is off to all of you whipmakers who keep doing what you love to do. I'm a songwriter/musician on the side, but there's no way I'm making a living off of it which is why I have a day job. But I keep plugging along because I just couldn't image NOT doing music. Keep up the good work guys! :wink:

bink
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Well, Robert, I knot I'm not getting rich, at least not rich in the sense of having a lot of money. Since I just graduated from college in May, I'm still living at home with my parents and that helps my income go further.

I am also a musician interested in blues harmonica and singing and I participate in community theater. While I only have enough work to really keep me busy part time, it's nice to have the time to pursue my other intertests. I also feel that not working full days will help my hands last longer.

About the problems with 'roo, getting them and then wasting hide, I've tried to develop more products that don't rely on it. The Indy on-a-budget whip is all cowhide and I have reliable supplies of it, even if the colors aren't completely screen accurate. With the drought, I don't envy anyone who has build their business on kangaroo. I'm trying to make whips different than the standard kangaroo Indy whip since there are so many makers out there making quality Indy whips. I also make latigo 4-plait stockwhips and 8-plait swivel bullwhips, as well as chrome-tanned cowhide bullwhips and cow whips. With diversity in my production, I'm hoping to be able to offer quality services to anyone with a need for a flexible lash, whether it's an Indy fan or a mule driver.

I'm kind of hoping to build a name for myself. I know I'm only 23, but I have been making whips since I was 12 and I've worked hard to develop my skills. I'm afraid, however, that no matter how hard I work, that without a connection to David Morgan, the way that Joe Strain is connected to him, that I won't approach getting the kind of recognition that they have.

-Adam, www.winrichwhips.com
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Not more than a few moments ago I spoke w/Mr. Strain. Nice guy.
We talked a little bit and discussed what he had available in hides.

And I did it. I ordered my Indy whip. :whip:
Specs: 8' 12 plaite. w/lg turk head and braided loop.
Type of hide/color, Saddle tan. I looked at the color in this thread and I like the color, almost has a used look to it.

Once I get it I'll of course be posting pic's. :whip:
(can't wait)(said maybe as early as next week)

Croft.
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

midwestwhips wrote:Zohar,

Is the top picture saddle tan and the bottom picture whiskey? Do I win some milk to go with my cookie? :-))
Paul,

It's actually the other way around. The top one is the whiskey 8 footer when it was new, and the bottom one is the 10 foot saddletan.

That was very interesting to hear your perspective on the situation that whipmakers are going through right now. I hope that it will make a turn for the better for you all sometime soon.

Croft,

Congratulations, I think you will be well pleased with your choice, and if not, you can be assured that Mr. Strain will always make it right.
jerryrwm
Vendor

Post by jerryrwm »

On the whipmaking thread... A whipmaker sure isn't getting rich by any stretch of the imagination.

With the cost of 'roo at or around $75.00 an up per hide and that's a medium sized hide 7-8 sq ft. plus shipping. Then as Paul said, the hides are definately not the top quality hides available a few yrs ago. Tick bites, bullet holes, and my favorite are the wire stratches that extend from the middle of the back and run perpendicular to the spine for about 8" so you really have to cut out a chunk to get strong lace.

Now maybe I am slow when it comes to making a two-belly, two bolster whip, but from the time I start with the spike, add the core, cut out the first belly and stretch, split, skive and, plait it, roll it, and fit on a bolster; cut out the second belly, stretch , split, skive, and plait it, roll it, then another bolster; and then cut out the overlay, stretch, skive, split, and plait it. Then cut a fall, grease it, tie it on, roll the whip two or three more times. Cut out and plait the hang strap and attach it to the handle, build up the foundation and tie on the turk's head knots. This entire process takes me somewhere around 12-15 hrs for an 8' Indy whip.

Salary wise that works out like this. 8' whip at $35.00/ plaited foot = $280.00.

Whipmakers cost of materials - $75.00 hide plus $3.00 shipping (if you buy in bulk. Otherwise shipping is more.) Add $10.00 for additional materials for the whip - Spike for handle core. Waxed thread, weight material like lead tape, etc. (Not always used), leather for fall, etc.

So, from the $280.00 we subtract $88.00 leaving $192.00 dollars. Then using an average of 13.5 hrs for making the whip we find that the whipmaker is actually making a little over $14.00/hr.before taxes. Kinda hard to feed a family on that.

As I said, I'm probably slower than many, but let's say that it can be done in 8 hrs. That's $24.00/hr. Those aren't bad wages then. That's about $960.00/wk. But...you have to sell a whip a day to make that much. Paul, Adam are you selling a whip a day for 280 work days a year?

Just thought I'd put this out to show what that whipmaker keeps when you buy a whip.

Jerry R
Paul_Stenhouse
Vendor

Post by Paul_Stenhouse »

All,

Wow, I thought I was slow, but it takes me less than 1 hour per finished foot. I recently made a 12 footer in about 8 hours, but I was "in the zone" so to speak. To see that particular whip, it's on the 11-12 foot page on my website.

Best Regards,

Paul Stenhouse
Bernardodc
Vendor

Post by Bernardodc »

Hi Paul,
8 hours for a 12 ft bullwhip? wow! I'm impressed! you are my hero! :D
I went to your web site, and the whip looks terrific. I've noticed you've also changed the knot for attaching the cracker, and its similar to the one Morgan uses now. Is it better? Is here any advantage over the regular knot?
Take care,

Bernardo
Paul_Stenhouse
Vendor

Post by Paul_Stenhouse »

Dear Bernardo,

I get to take credit for showing that knot to David, if we are thinking of the same knot. I stumbled upon it accidentally, and showed it to him, after he was telling me that Terry Jacka supplied his whips with that knot and he wanted to try it.
I still prefer the slit attachment over all others, though.

Best Regards,

Paul Stenhouse