Looking for Expert Opinion!

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

New Englander
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Looking for Expert Opinion!

Post by New Englander »

Let me start off my first post by bidding you all a very warm hello from Boston and say that I am thrilled to have come across such an interesting collection of people from all over that are such dedicated Indy fans. One of the greatest parts of the internet is being able to bring together people who might otherwise never have a chance to speak to each other. :)

I've been a huge fan since I can remember and have decided that my old leather jacket (not an Indy) needs to be replaced. This of course gives me the perfect excuse to invest in a Wested.

Anyway, to get onto my inqueries...

1) Which style do people here feel is the nicest looking? From what I've read it seems like the Raider and ToD models are the most eye catching and I'm curious as to peoples opinion.

2) I'm from New England and it can get rather chilly here in the fall and winter months. I do want to wear this as much as I can and I anticipate my doing so. I am leaning towards going with the authentic lamb, but will I be ok with just a shirt and sweater underneath? Obviously I'm not going to be doing hard labour outside in this but will it keep me fairly warm?

3) Toughness, is the lamb plenty tough enough for just casual wear? I'm not exactly a cowboy but I would like to take this on light hikes and go motorcycling in it.

4) For the colour, I think I'm going to go with authentic lamb but my concern is that it won't be 'dark' enough. I'd like to have a dark leather that is still brown (like choc), and I realize this is why they make the dark leather so I am also weighing that as an option. Have jacket owners here been mostly satisfied with the authentic or would they advise going with the dark?

I would really appreciate any input you guys can offer, seeing as you are the best!

Cheers...
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

Welcome to indygear, and the addiction.... :wink:
I have never owned authentic lamb, but there are plenty of people who will comment.

See you around the board!

James
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Welcome to a fellow Bostonian (there are a few of us up here, believe it or not.)

For this weather, if your thinking fall/winter/spring, I would have to recommend Goat. It will work better keeping the wind off. It's a heavier material so it will insulate a bit better. And its definately tougher then the lamb.

When I was looking for a new jacket to motorcycle in, I didn't even think twice about going with Goat.

If you are just looking for a spring/summer jacket, lamb would be fine.

Dalexs
Last edited by Dalexs on Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flattery
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Flattery »

I've got the authentic lamb (Raiders style). I'd say yes, it is durable enough for casual wear. It's very soft and thin, however not so thin that catching it on a staple will tear it. It's a good all-around jacket.

I don't own a Wested goatskin jacket, but I have one particular jacket that is goatskin. I highly recommend it as either a motorcycling/winter jacket -- as already stated, it insulates better and is more durable. I'm looking into getting a goatskin Raiders jacket stricly for late fall and winter weather (the winter here in Kansas can get very cold).

If you're looking for just a general jacket, lamb is wonderful, but it probably won't last as long as goatskin will. I can't speak intelligently about the lambskin jackets in the winter -- I just got my jacket recently, so I'll have to see how it goes.

Also, check out these threads if you haven't already done so:
http://www.indygear.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9211
http://www.indygear.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9451

And welcome to COW! You'll love it here.
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

1) At the end of the day, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Also, to a large degree with these jackets, they are more alike than not. Put a RoTLA next to a LC - as these are probably the most different from each other - and what is the difference? Most will point to a bigger collar on the LC, and some might mention that its inside pocket (which noone ever really sees) is bigger... but that's about it.

I think what you might be seeing on the forum is a lot or people talking-up the RoTLA because it's "the original" jacket (although smart-alecs like to point out that as Temple of Doom predates Raiders, that the ToD jacket is the original, ho, ho, ho...). Similarly, people talk a lot about the ToD jacket because it has an extra 1" in length. That's not much extra length at all (can you even spot an extra 1" from a metre of two away?) but that is the reason the ToD gets talked about a bit.

Again, the jackets are more similar than they are different. The talk surrounding certain models relates more to personal preference and reatively minor cosmetic differences rather than anything more profound than that.

2) People feel the cold differently. It's great that you already acknowledge that the lamb isn't a warm jacket by any stretch of the imagination. With layering, it will be passable, but not ideal. See other member's advice in this area - including one member who sent his own flannel material to Wested to sew into the jacket, making it a warmer proposition to wear.

3) Light hikes, fine... just try not to get it snagged on thigs. Motorcycling? You'd be insane. Seriously :)

4) I can't comment... I own a horsehide Wested, which is probably in between the two colours... and has a splash of russet running through it to boot :)
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

Welcome, New Englander!

Buying a Wested, are we? :wink: You'll probably find as much advice here as there are jacket owners... by all means, go ahead and read the threads through... I spent my first weeks on COW just getting updated on 'current events'.

Then again, don't take us that seriously. Go with the flow - you probably have your favourite trilogy part. If you are a Raiders man, go with the Raiders jacket, If you dig Temple... and so on. Yours is the jacket to wear... choose accordingly. :wink:

My 2 cents regarding the leather... I chose lamb, not because of it's superior qualities, but simply because that's what was used in the movies. The discussions about 'period-authentic' materials are interesting as such, and maybe I'll go with goat the next time I buy a Wested, but as for now, the lambskin jacket is all I need.
I'm from New England and it can get rather chilly here in the fall and winter months
I'm from Sweden and the country dwells in a nightmarish, cold darkness for most of the year. When it's cold and snowing, the Wested stays home. There are far superior jackets to fight cold in... No leather jacket in itself will be cosy and warm when it's below zero - the leather gets stiff and chilly to the touch, and besides, a Wested is a very short jacket... 8-[
Toughness, is the lamb plenty tough enough for just casual wear? I'm not exactly a cowboy but I would like to take this on light hikes and go motorcycling in it.
Casual wear? Oh yes. Just see that you avoid snags. Motorcycling? A Wested leather jacket serves as a moderately good windbreaker. It doesn't handle asphalt rash very well, though. :wink:

Again, welcome to the madness, NE. Good luck with the jacket - you'll love it from the moment it arrives on your doorstep... :D
Last edited by Scandinavia Jones on Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Looking for Expert Opinion!

Post by Indiana Joe »

Welcome to the madness, New Englander! Hope you have some deeeep pockets. This is an addicting hobby! :)

Rob said it best---beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You have to decide which style you prefer. As for warmth, cowhide will keep you warmest but goatskin is warm as well. Just remember, "layers." Toughness? You can't beat the goat but cowhide is one tough leather too. Can you tell I like cowhide? :wink:
New Englander wrote:4) For the colour, I think I'm going to go with authentic lamb but my concern is that it won't be 'dark' enough. I'd like to have a dark leather that is still brown (like choc), and I realize this is why they make the dark leather so I am also weighing that as an option. Have jacket owners here been mostly satisfied with the authentic or would they advise going with the dark?
Again, your the one wearing the jacket so you need to be satisfied with it. It appears that you prefer the darker coloring. There are quite a number of gearheads here that like the darker coloring too. There are so many, in fact, that Peter makes the jacket available in the darker brown (as you already know). So that tells you you're in good company.

So, I guess you're looking at a dark brown goatskin or a dark brown cowhide. One other thing to consider is that it'll take the goat a lot longer to distress than the cowhide. Some folks want the distressed look right away (the MK camp) and others like to take it slow and natural (the Michaelson camp).

Again, welcome. Keep us abreast as to what you decide.

I.J.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

Greetings to a fellow Bostonian!

I like your nome de plume. John Adams used to write under the name Novangelis, which means "New Englander" in Latin, but enough of that.

I have a Wested Authentic Lamb Raiders jacket, which I love. I do find myself putting it away when it gets too cold and breaking out the Thinsulate LL Bean Goatskin bomber jacket. But you can wear the lambskin well into the grayer seasons. I know that there are some gung-ho gearheads who wear theirs in all sorts of weather. I think it might have been my good friend, Langpuss, who was posing in his in the twenty-below frozen Austrian winter! So, I suppose, it's all up to your tolerance for cold and the heat of your enthusiasm.

As for styling, that is a personal preference. I love the look of the Raiders, but can understand the appeal of the longer TOD. The LC has a bit of a disco-collar look to me, so I don't think I'll ever get one of those.

The Lamb is great for casual wear, but I wouldn't subject it to too harsh of a test. I certainly wouldn't weat it motorcycling. Light hikes should be fine. I like the deep color of the Authentic. To me, it is much more interesting than some of the flatter browns. In some light, it looks quite dark. In others, more light.

Anyway, welcome to the board and I'll see you around!
New Englander
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by New Englander »

Thanks for all the great responses! I really appreciate the pointers.

I am planning on sending my order to Peter tonight, and once it's in I'll post up what I'm getting.

I'm looking forward to seeing all you folks around more, and thanks for the warm welcome. :)
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Welcome New Englander! A couple of things to remember about using the jacket for motorcycling: 1) ask for the collar has snaps on them. The wind can whip those things around and the constant slapping of the collar against the helmet can be really irratating. Also the jacket has barrel sleeves so unless you wear gloves with long gauntlets, the jacket can inflate and act like a paracute. I've worn one of my Indy jackets a couple of times and decided to stick with (notice I did not say 'stick to') my cycle jacket. Keep the rubber side down.
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

Jess, you're seriously not encouraging lamb as a suitable protective jacket are you?
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Well I thought Dalexs had already addressed that issue earlier by stating he did not thinking twice about going with goat. I brought up two issue with whatever skin New Englander decides to go with. Personally, I don't think an Indy jacket is the best choice for a motorcycle jacket.
Last edited by Indiana Jess on Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

But it's a perfect jacket for swimming after bi-planes!!!
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Provided you get a good start by swinging off a vine
New Englander
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by New Englander »

I wasn't really planning on making it my primary motorbiking jacket. As it is, I only bike in the summer when it isn't too chilly and even then it's not my primary form of transportation.

I'll probably give it a shot and see how it works, if not it's no big deal. I can always go back to my old leather.
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Well lamb is pretty thin. If, God forbid, you wipe out, I doubt the lamb would survive.
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

Or your skin underneath... yeeeeeoooowwwwwccchhhhhhhhhh...
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

My real concern would be for the bike! :shock: :wink:
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

New Englander wrote:Thanks for all the great responses! I really appreciate the pointers.

I am planning on sending my order to Peter tonight, and once it's in I'll post up what I'm getting.
The longer you're here, the more you'll notice how we all share in your anticipation as the clock begins to slowly tick away toward the arrival of your new Wested. So, what did you order?

I.J.
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

NE, Welcome to the Madness. We should all get together somewhere and have a few drinks and talk shop with the rest of The East Coasters.
New Englander
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by New Englander »

Sounds like a goodtime in my opinion, Fisk. :)

Now onto my order!

Here's what I placed with Peter (who got back to me right away I might add, terrific chap)

Wested ToD
Dark Brown Lamb
Size 40 Jacket
26.5 Sleeve

I placed the order on Wednesday afternoon and heard back only a few hours later. My Jacket went into production today and is slated to be dispatched 21 days from now. (so roughly October 14th).

Needless to say I'm very excited and will be counting down the days till it gets here!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Don't be to surprised if it takes less time than quoted. :D Good show! Looking forward to hearing about the final results! High regards. Michaelson
New Englander
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by New Englander »

I'm looking forward to posting some pictures! :D
New Englander
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by New Englander »

Update:

My jacket should be on the way out of the shop any day now. Peter told me 21 days till ship as of September 23rd which would put it around this Thursday.

Can't put excitement into words, virtually impossible at this point in time. Also need the jacket, as it's been a bit chilly lately as I'm sure my fellow Bostonians can attest to!

Anyway, looking forward to the new leather! :)
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Envious...mine is running about a week behind yours. I hate to bug them when they are doing excellent work, but have you heard from them, or just still counting down the 21 days?

Thanks - J
New Englander
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by New Englander »

Tomorrow is day 21 so I'm basically keeping a sharp eye on the postman at this point :)

If everything goes according to plan, I imagine it would be here about a week from tomorrow but I really couldn't say....there are certainly people here more familiar with this then I am.
Mr. Das
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Das »

Hate to spoil your wait, but there's another thread where people are waiting for their jacket past the 21 days.

So, don't book off work just to wait for the mailman....it usually shows up when you least expect it (unless of course, you have access to the tracking #)
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Das is right, you should check it out if you haven't seen it yet. There's a possibility that only the goat skins have been held up, so MAYBE you and I are okay w/ lamb, but who knows?

If you are at 21 days now, it shouldn't be a problem to email them and ask if it shipped yet.
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

I think the just the authentic goats are being held up due to an inferior batch of leather that came in. Just for clarification, as far as I can tell the dark brown goats are not held up. I've just pieced this together from comments on the thread I started. I haven't yet had a reply from my emails, so take this info with a grain of salt.
New Englander
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by New Englander »

I did order the jacket fully expecting I may not get it until early November, which I wouldn't be mad about. I know Peter gets a lot of orders and wants to do them right, so if it means a couple extra weeks to make sure every Indy fan is happy, that's ok with me :)
New Englander
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by New Englander »

She's here :D

Beaaautiful jacket, I don't think I've ever had something like this fit so well. I'm going to get some pictures up as soon as possible.

This thing came just as advertised. An awesome jacket :)
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

That is SO GREAT! Start a new thread for your pictures :)
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

New Englander wrote:She's here :D

Beaaautiful jacket, I don't think I've ever had something like this fit so well. I'm going to get some pictures up as soon as possible.

This thing came just as advertised. An awesome jacket :)
Pics, man, pics! Can't wait! (P.S. Isn't that feeling of relief GREAT?)
New Englander
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by New Englander »

The feeling of relief is amazing.

I will have pics up as soon as I have time. Bloody schoolwork is running crazy right now along with my recent election campaigning and the Boston Red Sox world series victory.

Been a helluva month! Now a sweet jacket to top it all off! :D