Boot Potential's-

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

IndianaCollins
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Boot Potential's-

Post by IndianaCollins »

I haven't been around much lately, but I don't think I've seen these here before.

Part1
I was shopping for hiking boots yesterday, in my mall (45 miles from where I live), and went into American Eagle Outfitters, as they usually have clothing with a more rugged style. Well I found the closest thing to an Indy boot than I've found for over a year(and those are worn out and not manafactured anymore).

http://www.ae.com/AE_ProductPage.proces ... 1_2401_207

http://ae.speedera.net/Images/laydowns/ ... 01_207.jpg

The AE Bleacher boots.

Part2
I know the soles are wrong, and there's no speed laces, but hey! I tried them on, liked'em. went to pay, used a check. Guess what!
My check was decliened. I knew there was enough money in the bank to cover it, but I phoned my small town bank anyway. As expected, everything was in order. They asked what the situation was, and I told them. I was then informed that it's standard policy to declien checks from young people with low check numbers. I went back in, tried to get them to verify the cash with my bank, they wouldn't.
Then they gave me the card the the company that handles their check issues. I phoned them, gave them my phone number, drivers license #, check #, etc, etc, only to be told that I didnt' meet the criteria. I was quite peeved.
Anyway, I had them hold them, as I didn't have enough cash on me to buy them and get back home, so I had them hold them till tonight, when a family member is going to pick them up for me. I'll let you know more after I've worn them some.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Man! That's why you should start your check numbers at 1000 or higher. When you order your next batch of checks, they should let you do that. Then when you write a check, they'll see the check number and assume you've been writing checks for a while and they may not question it.

The boots don't look bad, though! :wink:

bink
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

A pretty boot - and it has that rounded band of stitching on the toe, which is more uncommon that not in hiking boots. But, for mine, the soles blow this out of the water for me. That jagged, chunky look...
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

French company Paraboot makes a very similar boot with a mocc toe and Vibrams. Good looking footwear, those AE ones...
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

That's a good looking boot. It looks like it has already seen some use. The lug sole really helps in the hiking. Aldens are, as they were intended, work boots and function best in that environment. That doesn't mean I don't go hiking in them. I do.

I just don't want anyone to discount a possible good quality boot just because of the sole.

Just my $0.02
Pyro
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

How fast did that last model go to clearance? (Maybe IndianaCollins was getting a chance to wait for the lower price!)

Collins, when you get the boot, take a look and see if you can tell if the sole could handle a little grinding for those who want a more accurate look.

(Me, I'd just wear them as my everyday until I ground down the soles naturally and aged em just right, then they'd stay in the workshop as my indygear.)

Thanks - IJ
Sheffield Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sheffield Jones »

Check these out too.
http://www.ae.com/AE_ProductPage.proces ... 1_2404_200
These are cool also.
IndianaCollins
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndianaCollins »

Indiana Jerry wrote:
Collins, when you get the boot, take a look and see if you can tell if the sole could handle a little grinding for those who want a more accurate look.

Thanks - IJ
There's enough sole there that you could grind it down, if you wanted to, I guess.
I don't know anything about re-soling boots, but it looks as though the current soles could be taken off, and new ones put on.
IndianaCollins
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndianaCollins »

Indiana Jerry wrote:

Thanks - IJ
There's enough sole there that you could grind it down, if you wanted to, I guess.
I don't know anything about re-soling boots, but it looks as though the current soles could be taken off, and new ones put on.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Don't feel to bad, Indy Collins. We've all had it happen at one time or another to us too. I had it happen right after we moved here to Tennessee, and had just opened a checking account at our local Credit Union. I had to show enough ID at the local Krogers to get me in any country behind the Iron Curtain in order for them to cash a low serial numbered check I had been issued while awaiting our preprinted versions. It's aggrevating. :evil: Regards. Michaelson
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

I'm searching for a boot alternative and this one looks good enough to me. Can anyone comment on the AE's comfort and durability?

I.J.

p.s.--you think Pecard dressing would be enough water-proofing or would the boot still leak in ankle-deep water? I've not owned a pair of boots that were not designated as water-proof.
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

Thanks, Mike!