Bigger bag alternative

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Gilly
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Bigger bag alternative

Post by Gilly »

I just thought you might like to know that I went to Old Navy last week to pick up some more pants and they have a good size heavy canvas bag for sale. It has a canvas strap that could easly be replaced with a leather one. It isnt a VII but it is about half again the size if not more and it works great for carrying all my books around the campus. It has a definat Indy look and it was only 20 bucks. I figured since my VII didnt have enough room to work at least this was close.
I looked on the web to find a picture but i couldnt find one. I will try to borrow a dig camera and put a picture of mine up for you all but no promises.

Gilly
Indiana_Alex
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indiana_Alex »

Yep Gill I know the one you mean. I also needed a book bag and I had seen one of Old Navy's Messenger bags which I liked cause they also have the shoulder strap instead of the two on the back. I was looking through the bags at the store with my mom when she let out a little scream. Look Alex, its a giant Indy Bag! Now its not exactly but its really close its that same mustard color with a light OD green strap. I love it, its plenty big and durable. I still hold to the fact that WE the gear heads, started this canvas shoulder bag trend.
Cheers, Alex

P.S. And yes mine was 19.95$
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

It's not this item, is it? They say it comes in khaki...

Gilly
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Gilly »

No it is definitly not that bag. This one is made completly of canvas. It doesnt have any snaps or buckles on it the flap just has some velcro on the back of it to keep it closed. It is about that size but there is nothing modern looking about it.

Gilly
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

It almost sounds like a version of a backpack that i used for my very first "Indy" shoulder bag. Back when I was 11, I had a cavas backpack that I cut and re-sewed the straps to make one shoulder strap. It was too wide, so I had my mom cut it in half and re-sew it and got 2 "Indy" bags out of it. It made for many a childhood adventure! 8)

Mike
Peacock's Eye
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Peacock's Eye »

My first Indy bag was an old canvas backpack as well. It worked for awhile, until I found better ones.
Oklahoma Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

old navy bag

Post by Oklahoma Jones »

Do you happen to know if that is a bag they carry in all of their stores? I went looking for one, and all I could find was a messenger bag similar to the pic ITG posted..........or maybe they were just out? I would sure like to get one..................
Gilly
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Gilly »

I am not sure if they have that bag in all there stores but I would just ask one of the managers to see if they were a one shot wonder. If your store is out of them then maybe they could transfer one from a different store. I know as of yesterday they still had several here in Missoula, MT.

Gilly
Bushman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Bushman »

Driza-Bone makes a medium-sized bag called the "Dilly Bag." It is made of the same heavy-duty waxed cotton found in the Driza-Bone coats and jackets ("Rated Weatherproof.") The color is brown. It has the front flap and two snaps similar to the MK VII. $22.85 USD at Hatsdirect.

Bushman
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Here's the bag Bushman's talking about from Hatsdirect:

Not too bad looking... and it's practical! ;)

Kind regards,
Indy
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

For the Old Navy bag:
If you can't find it in your local store, you might check a nearby Old Navy Outlet store.
morgan
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by morgan »

Do they have a website, we don't have Old Navy in England.

morgan
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

www.oldnavy.com but I couldn't find the MKVII-ish bag mentioned way up top from Old Navy (not the Hatdirect's bag).
Oklahoma Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Oklahoma Jones »

I have one of the Aussie bags, and they are tough!! The strap doesn't look like it will hold much, but just for fun I stuck a gallon bottle of windshield wiper fluid in it, and carried it around for a while. The bag didn't stretch, and the strap held firm......a great buy for under 30 bucks!
indean
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by indean »

Not having the gearhead resources then that we do now, my first Indy-esque bag was one of those roomy canvas paratrooper bags that were all the rage in the late 80s and early 90s. You can still find them kicking around on army surplus sites and stuff:

http://www.fatiguesarmynavy.com/store/item/IS1901

My current favourite on the Mk VII substitute's bench is a field bag that looks small but expands readily for those termpaper deadline days.

http://www.fatiguesarmynavy.com/store/item/GE1908

Since I only have the one Mk VII, I'm just too scared of ripping or damaging it to carry it around too much. Kind of defeats the purpose of having the bag to begin with, but that's collector's logic for you. :? (As a side note, I have no affiliation with fatiguesarmynavy.com -- just can't seem to get enough of their bags!)

Best regards,
Indean