Some Alternate Indy-style shirts (Orvis & J. Peterman)

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Some Alternate Indy-style shirts (Orvis & J. Peterman)

Post by Hemingway Jones »

While, surfing some of my favorite websites, I found these two shirts, which looked like interesting Indy-style shirts to round out your wardrobe (You can't wear the same Indy shirt from WESTED everyday! -or can you???)

Anyway, check them out and let me know what you think. It's always good to have many options.

This is not the "Bush Shirt," but the "British India Officer's Shirt:"
http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choi ... at_id=7233

The "Assertive Shirt" from J. Peterman:
http://www.jpeterman.com/cgi-bin/sgdyna ... \1405.html
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

Hemingway Jones wrote:
(You can't wear the same Indy shirt from WESTED everyday! -or can you???)

Of course you can - just keep that Febreze can handy... :mrgreen:
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

I miss the OLD Banana Republic :cry: But , J Peterman is pretty cool. 8)
Deadlock
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Deadlock »

The "Assertive Shirt" is a fine illustration of why impressionist catalogs have never caught on... :D
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Ripper wrote:
I miss the OLD Banana Republic
Me too! Not too many people even remember the old Banana Republic. They used to be safari outfitters (as were Abercrombie and Fitch!). I bought the best safari shirt from them around 1983 that I had until it turned to dust somewhere around 1995.
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

I used to make my mom take me there about every weekend.....I still have a catalog floating around here somewhere. I did email them awhile back and informed them that they ruined thier store , the way they have it now , but they didnt seem to care.Oh well , I still have the memories.......
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Deadlock wrote:
The "Assertive Shirt" is a fine illustration of why impressionist catalogs have never caught on...
That's a great description -well done! Though, if you've ever ordered from them, you would see how amazingly accurate those illustrations are. That company is all about marketing; spinning romantic tales about clothing. The drawings allow the customers to add their imaginations to the items, and when they come, they are imbued with all the romantic attachments that people have projection upon them. It's really quite clever.

And their catalogues make for excellent reading.
Deadlock
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Deadlock »

Hemingway Jones wrote:Though, if you've ever ordered from them, you would see how amazingly accurate those illustrations are. That company is all about marketing; spinning romantic tales about clothing. The drawings allow the customers to add their imaginations to the items, and when they come, they are imbued with all the romantic attachments that people have projection upon them. It's really quite clever.

And their catalogues make for excellent reading.
I loved the description of the shirt... so I bet the catalog is good reading.

I was simply commenting on the ceaseless hairsplitting done by gearheads over color and other details... :roll: Remember the misleadingly orange "tan" L.L. Bean shirt? I just doubt that the gearheads around here would take the leap of faith based on an impressionist rendition of the shirt.
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

Someone should open up an all safari clothing store.......Im sure it would do well.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Dealock wrote:
I loved the description of the shirt... so I bet the catalog is good reading.

I was simply commenting on the ceaseless hairsplitting done by gearheads over color and other details... Remember the misleadingly orange "tan" L.L. Bean shirt? I just doubt that the gearheads around here would take the leap of faith based on an impressionist rendition of the shirt.
Good point. It makes one hesitant to post anything that isn't dead-on accurate. I enjoy seeing items that are close, in the "spirit" of Indiana Jones, that I may choose to add to my collection. The British Officer's India shirt is one I am contemplating.

As for the "orange" tan L.L. Bean shirt: that really is a misleading picture on the website. I ordered one two weeks ago and I was very happy with the color when it came. It was quite light and true khaki, not that pumpkin-colored monstrosity. -But that's all on another post.