Caring for stiff leather.

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

reservoirdog
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Caring for stiff leather.

Post by reservoirdog »

I have an item that is made of extremely stiff leather, and was wondering how to care for it. I am worried about using a leather conditioner, because I don't want it to become flexible, lose it's shape, etc. However, I'm also worried about it drying out completely and eventually cracking. Is there a product out there designed for stiff leathers? Something that can condition the leather, but not to the point that it changes it's shape.

Thanks in advance, everyone.

res
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

Standard Pecards!

That's exactly what it's intended for, should work a treat.
reservoirdog
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by reservoirdog »

There webpage doesn't list a product called "Standard." Is it a dressing paste, a liquid lotion, a silicone dressing, an oil dressing, etc?

Thanks again for the quick reply...
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Gun Holsters

Since holster leather is invariably an oil tanned leather we recommend using Pecards Classic Leather Dressing only. Don't use a liquid since the leather could become too relaxed and lose its shape.
Check the "IndyGear fans!" link on the bottom left on:
http://www.pecard.com

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Swindiana
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Most certainly Pecard! The stuff was made initially for that purpose and is used by museums to help restore and protect leather stuff. I still have the literature that was sent along with my order of Pecard and they list Pecard Antique Leather Dressing as an option. I'd call the fine folks at Pecard and they'll happily help you with your needs.

bink