After 5 months, my Aldens are here

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

HJJr
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

After 5 months, my Aldens are here

Post by HJJr »

Alden's apparently cuts patterns in sized groups. They seem to collect up orders for various sizes, and reaching critical mass, cut several of those at once (something about efficiency). For some reason, the 10 1/2 E is not a size Alden's makes very often in the 405 boot. Hence the 5 month wait.

The folks in the Washington DC store were kind enough to help me scour the country, place an order, and get the boots. Kathy was very patient and informative.

Great boots. Just need to get the white threads colored and dirty them up a bit.
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Re: After 5 months, my Aldens are here

Post by Pyroxene »

HJJr wrote:Just need to get the white threads colored and dirty them up a bit.
One question: Why would you color the threads?

Just wondering,
Pyro
HJJr
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HJJr »

That bright white is distracting to me. And less screen accurate I guess.
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

HJJr wrote:And less screen accurate I guess.
They are screen accurate.

I can understand them being distracting.

Regards,
Pyro
jjkillin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jjkillin »

Well which threads do you mean--the one's on the toe of the shoe on the leather or the one's on the top of the soles?

I've had a pair for close to 5 years and wore them religiously in that time. I've had to get them resoled once (another one is coming up), and I can tell you that the white color won't fade--but the brightness will. Just go for a few walks and besides breaking them in, the brightness will begin to fade. I also have a brand new pair I wear for formal occasions.

The difference a few walks down the trail can make is extraordinary:
:wink:

Just be on the guard against tongue slippage!
HJJr
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HJJr »

May try the walk in a plowed field.

Thanks.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Boy, the stitching on the toe of the older pair looks like it is coming out. Does anyone know if Alden would repair stitching like that in their shoe restoration service?
jjkillin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jjkillin »

Bufflehead Jones wrote:Boy, the stitching on the toe of the older pair looks like it is coming out. Does anyone know if Alden would repair stitching like that in their shoe restoration service?
Well it's been like that for a looooong time and as long as I don't play with it I'm sure it won't bother me. I am going to have to get it re-heeled soon, so when I take it in I will find out if they can do it and how much it will be (I just take it to a cobbler in town).

But overall it doesn't seem to be causing too many problems (the leather isn't loosened and things aren't popping out). When it first started happening I just assumed that it was the same thing as the stitching on the very bottom of the soles wearing out.

When I actually had those boots resoled the last time, the cobbler didn't have any Neoprene, so it has a simple rubber-like material on its bottom. The stitches he put into the the bottom near the toe are actually holding up better than the one's that the Alden shop put in! Besides that I generally feel like I have a bit more traction than I did with the Neoprene before, despite it being flat as well.

-James
Dakota Hurly
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Dakota Hurly »

Tongue Slippage.... The Worst :( I own a pair of aldens and hate the slippage!!! ARG!!!...but hey :) what can you do? Still love my alden's!!! :D
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

The slip of the tongue... got used to it, and can't be bothered by it anymore. I position the tongues before lacing, and when halfway, give them a little yank and tie the boots firmly. Does not totally prevent slipping, but keeps the nuisance within tolerable limits.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Yes, the tongue slippage problem was real bad on mine. I took them to a cobbler and had him put a couple stitches in the upper and tongue and that cured it. I could not stand having the tougue off to the side like that.

For the same reason, I would never be able to stand wearing a fedora with the "Raiders Turn". It would drive me crazy the same way, having a hat on crooked.

When I was at the Alden Factory Store in Washington, D.C., I found it strange that Aldens dress shoes have the tongue stictched from the factory, and the boots do not. A dress shoe has a very short tongue and there is less chance that tongue slippage would be a problem. The boot has a very long tongue and this is more likely to occur.

These boots are custom made and therefore with a doctor's prescription can accomodate any foot problem as an orthopedic shoe. Maybe, with it being harder to pull on a boot than a shoe, they have to leave the tongue unattached to accomodate possible foot problems.

They told me that they could stitch up the boot the same way a cobbler would at no extra cost if there was a tongue slippage problem. I just had the local cobbler do it instead of going all the way back downtown. The local cobbler only charged 5 bucks to do it.

It is a shame that we can't have these tongues stitched on these boots the way the Alden Factory does it on the dress shoes. On the dress shoes, the factory puts the stiches in on the inside while the shoe is being made and you can't even see the stiches on the outside. I was told that this can't be done to my boots that are already made. It has to be done during the construction of the shoe. Too bad. I would have sent them back to the factory to have it done, if they could retro fit it into my boots.

If I ever order another pair, since they are a custom shoe, I think I will inquire if the tongue can be stitched while they are being made. I already know that I have a tongue slippage problem with these boots. If anyone orders a pair and requests that this be done, let me know what they say.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

...Of course, I would ask for screen accurate stitches. :-k #-o Umm...but you can't see them on the outside.
jjkillin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jjkillin »

That's a really good idea, I just wonder if they would bomb you with a bigger price tag. I remember inquiring once if I could get the boots in black and it was something over 100 extra dollars to die the leather black (because they couldn't use black leather for some reason). Let us know how it turns out.

-James
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

They are screen accurate.
Thank you, pyro! I was going to post this question about the stitches....

JJkillin - those boots looks distressed, but I bet they are super comfortable...!

Indy J
jjkillin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jjkillin »

IndianaJames wrote:
JJkillin - those boots looks distressed, but I bet they are super comfortable...!

Indy J
Just like 1-pound tennis shoes! :wink:

-James
indy81
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indy81 »

This problem with tongue slippage doesn't make since. I've not experienced any slight problem with them. Maybe I just cinch em up tight enough for them not to go anywhere. :lol: Tighten your boots!...and Avi, pull your socks up!

Regards,
'81
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

I really think it has to do with the shape of your foot. I have a really narrow and flat foot. The tongue slippage is so bad that I can put the shoes on upstairs in the bedroom and by the time I get downstairs in the kitchen, the toungue has slipped all the way to the side. Of course, now that I had the tongue stitched to the upper, it doesn't slip at all.

Having a narrow foot was a disadvantage to me when I drove race cars. I had to go through all kinds of gyrations on a heel and toe downshift. I had to have my gas and brake pedal adjusted real close together and if I wasn't careful, my right foot could slip right in between the two pedals.

My friend that taught me how to drive race cars had a much wider foot and he could just roll his foot over and blip the throttle with such ease, while under braking. Some one like my friend, probably would not have a problem with tongue slippage, or the problem would be much less than for me.

Do you have a wider foot or one that is not very flat? I think that is why you don't have the same problem that some of us do. I am no shoe or foot expert, but this is my opinion on why some have a problem and some don't.

I can't tie my shoes any tighter than I already do, or it would cut off the circulation. I also pull my socks up as I can't stand it if my socks slide down and bunch up in my shoes.
jjkillin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jjkillin »

I too have narrow flat feet and have tongue slippage (extremely terrible on my new pair).

BTW, driving race cars has got to be one of the most exhilirating things to see (and I suppose do!). 8)

-James
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

The slippage is a long-standing (heehee) problem, best thing to do is have a cobbler stitch them in place and it'll never annoy you again. :)
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

James,

I think that the front of the shoe is all one piece of leather and those stitches coming out won't effect anything other than the appearance. But, I love the look of the stitches. It is my favorite thing about the look of the Aldens.

Since you have a narrow, flat foot also, do you have a tongue slippage problem with both the old and new pair of Aldens? Are both pairs the same size and width?

Yes, driving race cars is one of the most incredible things that I have ever done. Flat out through the uphill esses at Watkins Glen....it doesn't get much better than that.
jjkillin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jjkillin »

Bufflehead Jones wrote:
Since you have a narrow, flat foot also, do you have a tongue slippage problem with both the old and new pair of Aldens? Are both pairs the same size and width?
Yes I have problems with both the older and the newer pair. However in the newer pair, both boots have the tongue slipping problem, in the older pair it is only one of the boots. I may opt for asking my cobbler to stitch the tongue in the newer pair because they are not as broken in, and it is extraordinarily annoying feeling the tongue off to the side and the shoelaces at the sock as I'm sure everyone here must know! :)

ob1al-- do you have pics of where the cobbler stitched the tongue and the boot? How noticeable are the stitched on the outside of the boot?

-James
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

James,

Just a few tips on having them stitched up. I had mine done right along the stiches that are already there on the inside of the speed lacers. They are actually covered by the shoelaces and it is hard to even see them. If you put some "Brick" colored Meltonian shoe cream on them they, will just about disappear.

You want to put the stitches on the inside part of the upper, in other words, on the side of the shoe that is facing the other shoe. Not on the side of the shoe that is facing to the outside when you are wearing them.

You want to put the stitches at about the point where the first speed lacer is. If you put the stitches on the row of stitches that is closest to the tongue and you put them next to the eyelets, you won't be able to put the shoelaces through the eyelets. If you can't lace up your shoes, that tends to be a problem.

If you put the stitches much higher than the first speed lacer, it becomes harder and harded to get your foot in and out of the boot, the higher you go up.

Hope this helps.
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

You can't see the stitching at all.

Your cobbler will know what to do - just a little quarter inch of stitching on one side of each toungue, doubling over the stitching next to the speed lacers. Only stitch it on one side of each boot and you'll have no problems at all taking them on or off.
jjkillin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jjkillin »

I'll probably run by there early in September and see what they can do.

Thanks a lot for all of the tips!

-James
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

When I took my Aldens back to the store I bought them at, they stitched my shoes in five minutes or so. Of course, I called ahead to make sure I could get it done over a lunch break. Point is, it doesn't take much to get it done and your cobbler will know what to do. :wink:

bink