Coming soon, my online hat shop

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

indyrocks wrote: ... What will you accept in terms of payment for the hats? ...
With a little luck he'll take 2 chickens, a dozen doughnuts and a copy of the 1973 Toledo Ohio yellow pages [-o<
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Not from all of us, but I'll bet he'll accept that from you Jess! :D :junior: -IJ
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I think I will just take checks and money orders. Of course, if I get to the point to where it resembles something close to a business, I will go the credit card route as that is such a handy way to pay. I do most of my online buying with credit cards, except ebay. I will just play this by ear. Heck, I will even do a lay away deal too for those who are like me and have to pay in installments. :lol: Thanks for the interest. Fedora
antiquity collector
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by antiquity collector »

Just let us know when you will start accepting orders. I'd send you a check now to get one of these, 'cause if you're happy with the bodies that arrive I know I'll be.

AC
Colby
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Colby »

Any idea on shipping? I like the lay away idea hehe I'm still saving up for the hat. Almost there! :D
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

'cause if you're happy with the bodies that arrive I know I'll be.

Yeah, the block shape and the felt are the two main things that have to be right. I got a new block in a couple of days ago and blocked a hat on it. It looks good, but not quite there in the shape I am after. So, I have another one coming, with some changes. I think this next one will have it nailed. Of course, I have always liked my custom block, but also knew there was some tweaking that needed to be done on the dome. That is what I am working on now. The fine points. On the felt, I am so excited about what this felt could be...........Yeah, I still think Cury was not the supplier, but this company very well could have been. Then, maybe not. :lol: That they sell a true lightweight body and the variety of browns is what has me all excited. regards, Fedora
Colby
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Colby »

:D :wink: :D Yes!!! I have the money for a hat now!! :D :wink: :D
(now to just get my hat size :? )
indyrocks
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyrocks »

Fedora, since we are on the topic of payment, when do you think you will start taking money and orders? Are you planning on a pre-order system, or just going to wait until you are up and running? I'd be willing to send the money now just so I can be one of the first to get one of your hats! :lol:
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Thanks for the interest. What I will do, is once everything gets into order, I will make a post saying I am ready to take preorders. You can then just tell me your name and hat size so I can order the bodies, so I will have yours on hand and ready to make first. regards, Fedora
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Just name and hat size? Or should we also tell you what style? The answer may seem obvious to you, Fedora, but I just want to be sure. :junior: -IJ
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Just name and hat size? Or should we also tell you what style? The answer may seem obvious to you, Fedora, but I just want to be sure. -IJ

I can get the style later, or you can tell me at the outset. I was really just wanting the size so I could order the right sized body, and the name, to tell me who it is for. :D I am mainly selling just the Raiders fedora, but can do the LC as it was based on the same block. The TOD had some tapered Stetsons in the mix, and I will not do those as my blocks are not tapered. :wink: The TOD bridge scene, I can do, because that hat had a straight block shape too. Have I confused you? I figure I will doing alot of Raiders hats, but as we all know, there are several different looks, depending upon the scene. Like the idol grab hat, the Cairo hat, the hat he is wearing when he first enters the temple, same height front and back with smaller front dents. I just hope no one wants the hat when he is swimming to the plane. I am afraid it would be dried out, or mildewed by the time the mail got it to you. :lol: Fedora
jbbowers
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jbbowers »

I just hope no one wants the hat when he is swimming to the plane. I am afraid it would be dried out, or mildewed by the time the mail got it to you.
Aww, I was going to ask for that one, it's my favorite! Actually, I stand under the shower for three minutes each morning while wearing my hat, and then I'm ready for the day with the perfect "swimming scene" fedora. :D
Brad Bowers
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Thanks for the info Fedora, glad to hear that you can do all the different Raiders blocks. Do you think you'll be able to simulate the reversed taper of the Cairo scene? :junior: -IJ
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Do you think you'll be able to simulate the reversed taper of the Cairo scene? -IJ

:lol: Not quite, unless you want me to stomp on your hat, and then wear it in the rain, then the heat, and then sweat in it until it stains the ribbon. :lol: I can mimic some of the reverse taper, but not all as it came from abuse and not the block. Fedora
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Fedora wrote:I just hope no one wants the hat when he is swimming to the plane.
Ha! Can you believe I actually made one like that?
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

unless you want me to stomp on your hat, and then wear it in the rain, then the heat, and then sweat in it until it stains the ribbon.
uhhhhm...no thanks.
I can mimic some of the reverse taper
That'd be great, Fedora. I know people (including me) are saying this right and left, but I can't wait until your lids are available!!! :D :junior: -IJ
jjkillin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jjkillin »

Pyroxene wrote:
Fedora wrote:I just hope no one wants the hat when he is swimming to the plane.
Ha! Can you believe I actually made one like that?
:shock: How did you go about doing that???!!

James
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Get an old hat, put it on while wet. It's not as easy as they make it look in the movies. The hat brim actually wants to stay straight.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Here is a hat just off of the new block. A couple of the pics are blurry, but you can get an idea. The brim is 2 3/4 x 2 5/8. I like mine just a little bigger.http://public.fotki.com/Fedora/hats/pdrm0182.html

Fedora
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Great looking hat Fedora! Is that made of the famous Argentinian felt we've been hearing about? If so, what type of felt is it? Beaver? nutria blend? Is it light felt? Am I asking too many questions? :wink: :junior: -IJ
antiquity collector
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by antiquity collector »

Pics look pretty good for being blurry. What crown heights are they able to offer?

AC
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Nah, this is just an old hat I had lying around, and I wanted to check out the new block shape. When I get the Argentina bodies in, I will saturate you guys with good, clear pics of this felt since that is what I will be making the Indy fedoras out of. It will be, as mentioned, a thin felt. It should capture the look of the felt on the original Raiders hat really well. I think the hat here, as pictured is a beaver blend, but I am not sure. It was just a hat that I had got from ebay, and never fooled with it due to the brim being too narrow for me. It finally came in handy as it gave me something to try the new block on. regards, Fedora
fedoralover
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoralover »

from the pics that block looks really good. By the way I look really good in a fedora with those dimensions. Just thought I'd mention it in case you run out of room to put it.

regards fedoralover
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana Jess wrote:
indyrocks wrote: ... What will you accept in terms of payment for the hats? ...
With a little luck he'll take 2 chickens, a dozen doughnuts and a copy of the 1973 Toledo Ohio yellow pages [-o<
So THAT'S why the IRS stopped by to ask me about you, Jess! It's all so clear now... :shock: :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Michaelson wrote: So THAT'S why the IRS stopped by to ask me about you, Jess! It's all so clear now... :shock: :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Are they still upset that I paid my taxes in bull manure? I dunno, seemed appropriate at the time.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

That explains even MORE! They had guns drawn at the time...:lol: Regards. Michaelson
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

With a little luck he'll take 2 chickens,

Eat more ckikun? :lol: I will not take regular chickens, just laying hens. :D I like the kind that lays jumbo eggs. Fedora
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Hummm. We have Tyson chicken trucks running up and down our road all the time. I believe I see a truck highjacking in my future.... :-k :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Falstaff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Falstaff »

There aren't many chickens running around here in Calgary, but if you'll take signed Calgary Flames hockey memorabilia, I'd be happy to oblidge. :lol:

Actually, Fedora, I can understand why you're not going to worry about taking credit cards or Paypal at this point--they charge a lot of service charges if you only using them a few times a month. I'll be happy sending you a US money order for my hat. I think I've got the style nailed down.
Kilgour Trout
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Bulk deals?

Post by Kilgour Trout »

Maybe Crazy Canucks like Falstaff, Farnham, Mr. Das and me can buy bulk! :D . We could make it worth your while eh. We do have some special connections...Have you ever tried your chicken with "Pure Canadian Maple Syrup" hmmm? :wink: :lol: .

Kilgour Trout
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Pure Canadian Maple Syrup"

Ummm. You know my weakness. :lol: Fedora
jjkillin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jjkillin »

Canadians?

Even Fedora has an Achilles Heel! :wink:

-James
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

you mean if we hit him in the heel with a candadian he'll give us a free hat? #-o :-k :-s :junior: -IJ
jjkillin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jjkillin »

:shock: That's brilliant!!.....there's only one way to find out...
Colby
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Colby »

I've got an Alaskan. Will that work? :-s Shes small enough to swing around too. :P
jjkillin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jjkillin »

If it's the best we got then it may be our only choice
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

I've got an Alaskan. Will that work?
Close enough. Besides, like JJ said, it's the only thing we've got. Any Canadians on the forum want to volunteer for battering Fedora's heel? :junior: -IJ
Kentucky Mason
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Kentucky Mason »

Michaelson wrote:Hummm. We have Tyson chicken trucks running up and down our road all the time. I believe I see a truck highjacking in my future.... :-k :wink: Regards. Michaelson
If you want to take a trip north we have some not so well guarded chicken coops close by...The only problem is the pressure sensitive switch under the nests...but if we got a sand bag...and some sand...and we were quick...
jjkillin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jjkillin »

...we would nearly be killed by a rolling sphere too!

-James
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

and then...

Belloq: "Doctor killin, again we see there is no poultry you can possess that I cannot take away. And you thought I'd gone to KFC instead."

JJ: "Too bad The Colonel doesn't know you like I do Belloq." :junior: -IJ
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

This thread is starting to turn a bit fowl. Sorry just yoking ... I not going to egg you all on.
Colby
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Colby »

Wow, there is almost 10,000 views on this topic. :shock:
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Update. We can thank hurricane Frances and the new one currently making its way toward us with the delay on the Argentina felt bodies. It seems weather still delays commerce. My only thought was, why did it have to be hurricanes? These bodies make their entry into Florida. Not the best place to try and get into right now. The good news is the blocks are coming in regularly and I have many of them now, and brim flanges, and other tools needed to make a high quality hat. I have the pic of my die for the headpiece crest, so those are being printed-finally. Well, not much to tell, but I am getting there, although too slow for my liking. regards, Fedora
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Remind you of the line from 'The Outlaw Josey Wales'? "Endeavor to persevere!" (grins) Regards. Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I'll be patient, Fedora! :D

bink
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Endeavor to persevere!

That saying seems to stick with us Michaelson! One of my favorites. :D Fedora
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

....sure does...as does the REST of the statement....'we thought about it for a while...'endeavor to persevere'...and after thinking about it, declared war on the United States." Great stuff in that movie!! one of the top five favorites for me. High regards. Michaelson
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

To go off topic again, I like the one where he has the rock candy and says something to the effect, it is not for eating, but looking through! :lol: Fedora
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

"....there's a lot of good to do down in Mexico". :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I just got a pic of the die to be used to imprint the Indy crest in the Fortune and Glory hats that I will hopefully be offering real soon. Check it out. Not something that you are not real familiar with, but it will be cool to have it as the crest on the liner. http://public.fotki.com/Fedora/hats/crest.html regards, Fedora