What would you change about Indy's costume?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

I'd have him wear a blue checkered shirt so Michaelson will be screen accurate.
LetHerGo888
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Re:

Post by LetHerGo888 »

Renderking Fisk wrote: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:31 am I guess the only changes I can think of would be to change everything back to what it all was in Raiders.
+1
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: What would you change about Indy's costume?

Post by Thunderspy »

Rather change his default look I think I'd like to have seen more variations, like a cold/snow variation (shearling collar maybe?) or maybe a rainy adaptation with taller boots. Or maybe a version of his outfit where he takes his students on a field trip, so kind of half and half between the adventurer and professor looks (I guess the ToD dinner scene has this a little).

Does anyone ever replicate Indy's non-adventure looks? I've always thought his Crusade climbing-out-the-window/meeting Donovan look was pretty cool and probably wouldn't feel so awkward to wear when going to a Comic Con or the like :D
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

Thunderspy wrote: Does anyone ever replicate Indy's non-adventure looks? I've always thought his Crusade climbing-out-the-window/meeting Donovan look was pretty cool and probably wouldn't feel so awkward to wear when going to a Comic Con or the like :D
Yes, I have with a Magnoli suit, AB CS, and Saville Row glasses. That’s what I wore (sans the hat except when outside) for presenting at my first archaeology conference. Lol. I’ll try and find a photo to post later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

Great! That would be cool to see :)
Dr. Nebraska S.

Thunderspy wrote:Great! That would be cool to see :)
I’ll share in this other thread in the next couple of days to not get this thread off-topic:

Show us your Magnoli suits/blazers/tuxedos!
http://www.indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?t=66090

Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

I would have love to have seen this outfit at some stage...
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/nj1JwItGLjeA4 ... ByxOdSg=s0
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

I would change his gear up as time went on.... especially once we're in the 50s and 60s. With as much wear and tear that Indy puts his stuff through it's ridiculous too think this man in the late 50s is somehow still able to find essentially the exact same clothes he had in the 30s. That's when it becomes a costume and makes Indy feel out of touch with the world. For Indy 5 it does seem they're doing a little of this with his shirt being slightly different but I'd prefer to see more of Indy replacing stuff with more and more modern stuff as time goes on. Maybe still a brown leather jacket but one that is obviously an updated version of his old one. Different gun holster as the era and gun changes.

Obviously, keep the hat the same but there's nothing wrong with changing up the shoes or shirt color etc. I always enjoyed the Mummy movies in that aspect as they did play around with altering the gear especially by the third one. :TOH:
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

Canyon wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:38 pm I would have love to have seen this outfit at some stage...
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/nj1JwItGLjeA4 ... ByxOdSg=s0
Yes I'd like something like that.

I always thought this book cover was quite interesting, with a slightly different look for Indy. I could imagine him changing it up like this for part of a story.

Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Absolutely... except the matching colored pants... darker is better.
LawranceOfArabia
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by LawranceOfArabia »

Thunderspy wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:14 pm Rather change his default look I think I'd like to have seen more variations, like a cold/snow variation (shearling collar maybe?) or maybe a rainy adaptation with taller boots. Or maybe a version of his outfit where he takes his students on a field trip, so kind of half and half between the adventurer and professor looks (I guess the ToD dinner scene has this a little).

Does anyone ever replicate Indy's non-adventure looks? I've always thought his Crusade climbing-out-the-window/meeting Donovan look was pretty cool and probably wouldn't feel so awkward to wear when going to a Comic Con or the like :D
I agree with this. I live in the tropics and the jacket is simply not good. The actors must have been sweating profusely in the costume when in the desert and jungle scenes…

… then again, Indy is a movie character and all the debate is situated around real life which was simply not a consideration when you can employ artistic license.
Thunderspy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Thunderspy »

Yes I think I remember hearing that Ford hated the costume when he was shooting the Hawaii bits in Raiders :D
Dr. Nebraska S.

Thunderspy wrote:Great! That would be cool to see :)
http://www.indygear.com/cow/viewtopic. ... 38#p945038

SonofJoker
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by SonofJoker »

I think different gear for different climates would be cool like a fur lined collared leather jacket for snow. I do agree with different gear as Indy hit the 50s & the 60s, except his hat. The hat is timeless. :TOH:
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Switch up the jacket mainly for different locales and possibly change up the pants just a bit. Who wears the exact same pants for 30 years? Now, men's fashions do not change much, I get it. Heck, a pair of khaki's will last us gents a lifetime!

Also, minor changes in accessories: watch, bag straps, bag, etc.
indianamiller1102
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by indianamiller1102 »

I would keep the jacket and hat, but I would have the shirt and pants change throughout to similar styles, but not the same all the time. I would also have the gun, whip, and sachel come and go as the adventure calls for it. It doesn't make sense that he always wears them, even when he is not using them. Like in ToD, he keeps the holster on but doesn't even have his gun. There are also times when it doesn't make since he has his sachel when he never uses it, like in the last crusade. Or when he has his sachel, but is carries everything in a backpack.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Thunderspy wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:14 pm Rather change his default look I think I'd like to have seen more variations, like a cold/snow variation (shearling collar maybe?) or maybe a rainy adaptation with taller boots. Or maybe a version of his outfit where he takes his students on a field trip, so kind of half and half between the adventurer and professor looks (I guess the ToD dinner scene has this a little).

I had my tailor make a suit based on the one used in Raiders, with a pleated back, and half belt, in a nice thick tweed we'd picked out, with horn buttons and a high necked waistcoat...I'd looked at Magnoli, but wanted something a little more "me", so decided to go full bespoke for it..I think it works rather well with the brown hat especially...Although, it is a touch warm in Japanese winters, which aren't especially harsh, at least not in Tokyo...
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Does keep me warm enough with no coat though! I appreciate that!

fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

I've also just asked him to make me a dinner jacket and trousers using the Temple/Bond peaked lapel in white/ivory fabric too..The trousers will be dark blue, but the jacket will be a bespoke ivory cloth we found a few months ago and kept set aside until I could find the time and money to cover the cost of making the jacket and trousers. Should be finished fully by March time, just in time for the graduation ceremony here for my class, and the new year in April. Should be good!

As for the question, I think all I'd really change about the costume is the addition of a shoulder holster to up the weaponry available...The rest seems to work rather well overally, and I see no reason to change that too much! The recent Raiders holster find added a load to the costume, I feel ;)
Indiana Jon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Jon »

Count me in the variations camp. I wouldn't change anything on the default costume, but more MOTB-type variation would've been fun.
Iandiana Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Iandiana Jones »

I, like a lot of folks, would enjoy a little more variations as time goes on, outside of the nuaced differences in jacket from film to film.

A blue shirt here, Carhart pants there, perhaps a vest in those pesky climates where it's too hot for the jacket.

I also would have enjoyed a WWI gas mask bag for the first 3 films, then the Mk VII for the later 2.

Also Steranko's M36 Pistol belt for Raiders and maybe Crusade (but not Temple, being 1935 and all...)

Heck, a Vibram sole would probably go a long way too.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

People do copy Indy's suits, etc. but remember, if we do that, we are still basically copying every man who lived between 1920s and 1950s!! It's a great vintage look that to me, makes one look very dapper... :D