Anybody own an insulated Wested??? (and some other ?)

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Deadlock
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Anybody own an insulated Wested??? (and some other ?)

Post by Deadlock »

Greetings, Clubbers. :)

I have some questions… And yes, before you ask, I have searched the bowels of COW (I believe that was the phrase :D) as much as possible before posting this. I’ve searched enough to know that the Wested has evolved over time, and part of the reason I’m posting is to find out the info on Westeds that have been made recently.

Now for my questions:
1. Insulation... Does anybody own an insulated Wested? I’ve read the posts regarding the “quilted” lining... has anybody opted for it? If so, how do you like it? Does it adversely affect the drape or make you have to order a larger size?
2. Interior facing… has the beefed up (leather around the inside of the collar, and by the zipper) interior facing become standard? Is it now uneccessary to ask for it? I consulted the IndyGear site, the jacket FAQ recommends requesting it... BUT the main jacket tab says it's standard. I just want to get the right story.
3. Pricing... In looking at the main jacket tab on the IndyGear site, it quotes a message from Peter saying that the "price for the Raiders jacket is now $220 plus $30 postage. Total $250." due to fluctuations in the exchange rate. (This was dated way back in 2/4/2001) Is this still true? Can I disregard the £145 and £20 (exchanged into dollars) mentioned on the Wested site?

Thanks for your expertise, I hope to be ordering my first Wested soon... Just need to clear up these questions (and save up some money). :roll:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

1. I do remember an individual planning on having that done, but never heard anymore, so I'd be interested as well in that reply.
2. Yes, it is now standard.
3. That's one to ask Wested directly. As you mention, the exchange rate has changed, and today the 145 pounds sterling currently exchanges to $260 USD, and this before factoring in shipping, so I'd email that to them directly and let THEM tell you what is what price wise. Peter recently posted the $250 price himself regarding another discussion, so I'm not sure if they're going with the current exchange, or leaving it as is for U.S purchase.

Regards. Michaelson
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

Hello and welcome!

I'll try to answer your questions if I can:

a) Insulation is wearing a sweater under your jacket. :wink: Seriously, I don't know anyonw who has this as an option.

b) The leather facings are completely standard now, no need to ask for them.

c) The mainsite is currently being updated - you should follow the prices on the www.indyjacket.com website.

Hope this helps,

Regards

Al
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Welcome, Deadlock.
Deadlock
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Deadlock »

Thanks, VP.

Alright, if nobody has had the quilted lining added... I'm really hesistant to be the guinea pig. :-k

Okay, if the sweater or insulated vest option is the way to go, here are a few more questions:
1. How did adjust the sizing and/or communicate this to Peter?
2. Did you measure yourself precisely, and then tell him to add some ease? Or did you you measure yourelf wearing a sweater?
3. Should I ask for enlarged arm holes because I plan on wearing bulkier clothing underneath?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I'd suggest you just convey all of this to Peter when ordering, as I do. They understand the requirements of needing extra room for wearing heavier clothing underneath the jacket. I usually size UP one size to have a jacket large enough for wearing sweaters, as I usually wear a 42R with lengthened sleeves. This has worked perfectly for me with no extra requirements for larger arm holes, but to each his own. Regards. Michaelson
Mr. Das
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Das »

If you're worried about getting cold, I wore my Wested Goat during Canadian winter and I was fine. I also wore my JC Crew and my feet froze.

A decent sweater is all you need. Nothing too fancy.

I was actually considering doing what Wolverine did in X-Men. I have no idea what leather hide he wore, but he had the leather coat, jean jacket underneath, flannel shirt and finally his white.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

Wolverine also has an adamantium skeleton and regenerative powers. These might come in handy when you're freezing in a light leather jacket in the middle of a Canadian winter!
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

If you want an insulted Wested, I suppose you could always line it with styrofoam cups. It might not drape well but you'll be warm ... :-s ok maybe I need another cup or two of coffee ...
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Here, I'll pour it for you. :wink:

bink