Horse and Goatskin Break-in

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Horse and Goatskin Break-in

Post by image »

I own a great FS Historical A-2 horse but, it's been really stiff and VERY difficult to soften up and break-in (I've tried everyting including the dryer with no heat trick). Now, I'm ready to buy my first Indy and was thinking of either the Wested horse or FS goatskin. Which leather is easier to break-in? I live in New England and thought the lambskin might be too lightweight and fragile. Your recommendations and comments would be greatly appreciated.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Goat is much easier to break in, but why are you set on buying a goat from FS or a Horse from Wested? Personally, I'd save $100 and buy a goat from Wested. :junior: -IJ
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

Authentic brown goatskin from Wested - a lot of bang for your buck, tough as nails and very good lookin' too.
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

ob1al wrote:
Authentic brown goatskin from Wested - a lot of bang for your buck, tough as nails and very good lookin' too.
I second that, Alan! :D You're absolutely right. Wested goat is the way to go! :D

There? See? Now, who's owing who a pint?
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

There? See? Now, who's owing who a pint?
Ah, you sly fox! :lol:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I've been VERY happy with my Wested goat. In fact, I'm even happier that cooler weather is coming since I'll be able to wear it again! :wink:

bink
Shishak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Shishak »

I live in New England as well and have the Flightsuits Goat. I love it! I can't say enough about this jacket. If you have the money, go for the Flightsuits. You won't regret it. The goatskin is durable and keeps you warm. I've also worn it in warmer weather and it breaths nicely. Break-in time for mine was minimal and it's now really nice and soft.
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

You can't go wrong with the Wested goat. :tup:
It's been reported that Peter has some really nice horse hides to work with though and I'd go ahead and watch the threads for some opinions on it before deciding. Orders have been placed and it shouldn't be long before someone will chime in with a fresh horse to display. :D
If this was never an option, I'd say go for goat without hesitation judging from your specifications. ;)

Regards,
Swindiana
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

My horse can't be far away... stay tuned for a POV on it!
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

Indiana Irwin wrote:My horse can't be far away... stay tuned for a POV on it!
Dude, I've been keeping my eyes peeled. :shock:

You've got to realize there are people out there waiting with baited breath.
We're all dying to know how this leather is going to look, feel, AND more importantly DISTRESS!!!!

Just do us all a favor, and wait a little bit for the initial excitement to die down, before giving us the review. Alot of times people will give a complete rundown upon opening the box, and start typing as soon as they put the jacket on their backs. This way we can get a true feel for all the details and little idiosynchrasies of the new leather.

As long as it dosn't take TOO long for the excitement to wane. :wink:
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

I know, I know! And how do you think I feel, knowing that I'm going to pass COWs first judgement on it! :shock:

My first step will be pictures. Most likely flash assisted in the first instance, followed by natural light once we hit a weekend. The ideal would be for it to arrive here by this Friday, so I can post flash pics Friday night and natural light pics the following day.

I'll give opinions and initial reactions, but I won't go too overboard until I've had it on my back for a while.
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

Indiana Irwin wrote:
I'll give opinions and initial reactions, but I won't go too overboard until I've had it on my back for a while.
Good man. Standing by awaiting your report. :junior: