Question about storing whip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Gilly
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Question about storing whip

Post by Gilly »

Hello all. Thank you for all the great information that is gathered here. I just got my first whip, it is one of the starter bullwhips off of the Mark Allen site. I can tell that this is definitly going to become addictive very fast. I already want to get another one and this one isnt even broke in yet. Anyways I was wondering when I am not using the whip should I leave it coiled up or should I hang it so that it stays straight? Any comments you have on the beginner whip that I have would be appreciated. It is the third one down one the american bullwhips page. Thank you for any comments.

Gilly
Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

Coil it up and place in a cool, dry place with plenty of natural light. Whatever you do, don't throw it in a closet or drawer somewhere, Mildew City. AND, keep it conditioned ... don't allow it to dry up.

I'd stay away from hanging it up by the wrist strap for long periods of time. Seems like that would put too much stress on the wrist strap after a while.
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

Actually that is what the wrist strap is for, to hang the whip. Make sure it's on a wooden peg, and not anything metallic.

I would say if you use it regularly, it's good to coil it up so that won't get caught in anything in between practice. If you plan to have a long lay off, then I would make sure what Chamorro said, condition it well. But I would hang it not in direct sunlight, and not in the closet. A coiled up whip in long term storage is worse than letting it just hang. The wrist loop is quite sturdy. In fact David Morgan does a demonstration where he cracks the whip just using the wrist loop. Any decent whip maker really does a good job in anchoring that baby right in there.

-Sergei