Robert Redford in "The Natural"

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

lowmileage
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Robert Redford in "The Natural"

Post by lowmileage »

It's about a baseball player in the (?) '30's and the jacket that Redford wore plus his hat reminded me of Indy. Anyone else?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I love that movie. His hat smacks of Indy as well. They've been playing that on AMC and the Family Channel over the past month or so. Really captures the feel of the era, doesn't it? Regards. Michaelson
Flash Gordon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Flash Gordon »

I always liked that fedora Redford wore.

As for the combination of leather jacket and fedora, it's not unique to Indy. In fact, they borrowed that look from other 1930s movies and serials. I have a book on the old cliffhanghers and the stills show plenty of guys dressed that way.

Lots of guys wore that combination during the 1930s and 1940s, not just in the movies. It was a style.

(There were also leather jackets and fedoras in the movie "The Untouchables".)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

It was almost a uniform right after WW2, as that was pretty much the standard dress for steel workers in Pittsburg and like heavy industry. They sold surplus leather flight jackets by the bale in company stores, as it was required wear when working in front of the blast furnaces (they didn't supply safety gear at that time, so each man was required to buy his own). He usually just wore his own fedora, and unless he was in a required hardhat area, he had his leather jacket and fedora on as his regular wear. Regards. Michaelson
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

My wife wanted to watch the Natural just the other night. So, I dug out the laser disc and it had been awhile since I had watched it. As soon as Redford came on screen, I thought, "oh my, he is dressed just like Indy". I should have thought to post this very same thing, then.

Since I joined Indygear and started collecting my own fedoras, I notice these kind of things in period films that I never really paid much attention to before. I saw the hats and jackets, but just accepted them as part of the costumes and didn't give it much more thought.
Forrestal
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Forrestal »

I bought a New York Knights baseball hat in Cooperstown N.Y. a couple of summers ago…….Very cool indeed. There’s one in the hall of fame too.
Regards,
Forrestal
Trevelyan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trevelyan »

Forrestal wrote:I bought a New York Knights baseball hat
I love that hat. I've got the Knights jersey with the lightning patch. If I hadn't started collecting Indy gear, I'd probably have the letterman jacket and the hat by now.
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

*message deleted by the author*
Last edited by MK on Sat May 24, 2008 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonesy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Jonesy »

Here's a shot of my New York Knights Jacket on the wall next to my signed poster! Just thought I'd share. I need a Wonderboy bat! :lol: